Boiler losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm trying to diagnose why my Baxi Barcelona condenser boiler is losing pressure. It's connected to a megaflo and underfloor heating. I've turned off the flow and return on the underfloor heating and the problem is still there, so I assume that takes away any possibility of a leak within that? And there are no signs of any leaks around the boiler or between it and the megaflo.

It's gradually getting worse rather than a sudden problem and can be temporarily cured by topping up via the filling loop , or re-pressurising the expansion vessel (a bit of water came out when I released the last bit of pressure).

What are the possible issues and what could be done to prove what the issue is?

Sponsored Links
Isolate the boiler overnight and see if the pressure drops, also look outside and you will find a 15mm copper pipe connected to the boiler, tie a balloon over the end and see if any water collects in it.

Isolate the boiler overnight and see if the pressure drops, also look outside and you will find a 15mm copper pipe connected to the boiler, tie a balloon over the end and see if any water collects in it.

I think I've found the problem before I've even isolated the boiler or used the balloon - I've re-pressurised the expansion vessel and I can hear it leaking from the valve.
If I get a schrader valve extension, is that likely to fix it?

Needs sorting for sure . Does your boilers pressure gauge reach 3 bar when your central heating has been running for an hour or more ?

Sponsored Links
Needs sorting for sure . Does your boilers pressure gauge reach 3 bar when your central heating has been running for an hour or more ?

If I pressurise the boiler to 1.5 bar and do likewise with the filling loop, the most it reaches when the heating is on is 2 bar.

With the boiler off, I re-pressurised to 2 bar just now and it's down to 1.5 bar within 15 mins, hence I'm convinced the leaking valve on the expansion vessel is the cause.

Try the bubble test on the valve - soap bubbles will show up the leak. As a test, you could put a cap on it to see if that fixes it or slows it down.
You can change the insert on the shraeder valve if its the same as a car valve - have to de-pressurise the system.
Get some valve inserts from Halfords together with an extraction tool , its a little prong thing. You probably got one in your bike kit.

Try the bubble test on the valve - soap bubbles will show up the leak. As a test, you could put a cap on it to see if that fixes it or slows it down.
You can change the insert on the shraeder valve if its the same as a car valve - have to de-pressurise the system.
Get some valve inserts from Halfords together with an extraction tool , its a little prong thing. You probably got one in your bike kit.

New valve inserted, re-pressurised to about 1.4bar and it's now holding pressure. There's about a teaspoon of water in the balloon on the external pipe after a couple of hours, so it sounds like I've fixed the bigger problem but a minor problem may still exist, but if it becomes significant then that looks like a straightforward replacement PRV fitted by a GasSafe engineer.

Thank you for all advice - this thread plus watching a couple of youtube videos has helped out massively.

24 hours on and the pressure is still OK, but has dropped from 1.4 to 1.3. The balloon I put on the exterior pipe has a small amount of water in it after 24 hours - I guess 50ml. Does this suggest that the PRV is not totally shut and needs 'a clean' or replacing?

Yes ,if it's passing water it needs examining ,possibly replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back