Baxi Boiler starting up with a big bang?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Thanks for previous great advice with my baxi boiler in understanding my PCP problem etc prior to hiring a plumber. We hired a brilliant plumber and have had a new PCP and gas valve fitted and everything works like a dream again. Well, except one thing that now bothers me, when the boiler lights up every 5 mins or so to reheat the water etc it sounds like a mini explosion in the boiler. It is much noisier than it used to be i.e we never noticed the light up phase prior to new PCP or gas valve being fitted. It is concealed within a wardrobe to an external wall of a bedroom upstairs, but it is so loud it wakes everyone up in the morning. Is this normal or is there something that can be adjusted to quieten the noise at point of ignition? The boiler seems to click three of four times, probably some start up phase, or is it trying to start? But when it does it can make you jump as it seems a very fierce bang or build up of gas? Sorry to ask, but I am still waiting for my plumber to come back one, with the bill so I can pay the amount quoted and two I can have some kind of answer armed ready.
Thanks for any tips
Steve

Sponsored Links
Explosive ignition, needs seeing to straight away, have him check it before payment.

Which baxi is this?

If it has permanent pilot i would imagine it needs pilot flame adjusting / cleaning.

Evidently everyone else knows, but whats a "PCP" ?

Sorry if I am a bit slow tonight but had a busy day!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,
We have a Baxi Solo 3 PFL Range boiler.
I think, I may need to check tomorrow that the pilot light stays on when the boiler is in operation.
I will chase the plumber again tomorrow and chase them up, as my wife is concerned about the noise the bang makes as it ignites. I must admit it is not what I expected. I hope it can be adjusted down or cleaned as mentioned.
Steve

Golfegghead, what was the outcome of this, my baxi solo 2 has just started doing the same as it seems happened to yours.

Thanks

That was over two years ago.

As you could deduce the boiler may need setting up correctly by an RGI.

When did you last have yours serviced?

Tony

funny enough was serviced a week ago and almost immediately started doing this (never did it before). they are coming back on wednesday but does leave you wondering with the thud will it last till then! hence wanting to know if the root cause was something that they will easily put right and i shouldnt worry.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back