Baxi Duo-Tec divertor motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Baxi Duo-Tec 40 HE A boiler that is not heating the CH properly. It will come on and heat up to 72 degrees (as measured on the boiler LCD) then stops. It come back on when the boiler says the temp is 30 degrees.
As its not on all the time the rads are not getting warm.

A plumber has told me that the 3-way divertor motor needs replacing and also the valve cartridge as they are one piece.
I have had a look on 'tinterweb and it seems you can get the cartridge separately to the motor. Also the cost of these two parts is substantially less than his price.

Looking at the motor and the boiler instruction book it looks as though it could be possible for me to replace the motor??
It looks as though I need to:

1) remove the front case and the inner door panel
2) remove the plug on the motor
3) takeout the retaining pin between the motor and the top of the valve
4) lift off the motor and put the new one on

I assume there will be no need to drain the boiler for this.

Does this sound right?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Remove outer case, DONT REMOVE INER CASE,
Pull off plug to motor, pull out retaining clip and motor pops off,
Its a dry job so no draining required, check electric supply to boiler is off first!

Remove outer case, DONT REMOVE INER CASE,
Pull off plug to motor, pull out retaining clip and motor pops off,
Its a dry job so no draining required, check electric supply to boiler is off first!

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought.
Looks like my plumber might be being very creative with his pricing.

How much ishe charging? And whats he doing? Replacing cartridge and motor only?

Sponsored Links
Looks like my plumber might be being very creative with his pricing.

I'm sure if whatever you cost to employ was made public, someone will put pressure to kick you out of a job.

Possibly, But I have already spent nearly £400 in the last few weeks and my boiler is now in a worse state then when I first asked for help. Said plumber is now asking several hundred more pounds for what seems like a 5-10 minute job to fit a part I can readily find on the internet for £30.

I have no problem paying people for there time and skill but I am not happy about being ripped off.

Take the head off and turn hot tap on, pin should go in and out. If the spindle is leaking you will have to replace either the cartridge (no bypass) or the full valve (if it has the bypass). When you turn hot tap on does the flow (left hand pipe) pipe get hot ?

How much ishe charging? And whats he doing? Replacing cartridge and motor only?

He was quoting for motor and cartridge replacement and it was £230.

I thought he replaced the cartridge 3 weeks ago when I first spotted the boiler was leaking, I have a bill from him itemising a valve cartridge and labour. He know says he didn't replace it just repaired it.

I have lost faith in what he is telling me so I am trying to gauge whether I am being ripped off or not.

Anyhow I have taken a quick look at the boiler with the front plate off. I can feel the diverter motor moving but it is making a groaning noise.
From this I would suspect that the cartridge does indeed need replacing and that the motor could be ok?

Thanks

Then your issue is that the man is incompetent and therefore a rip off at any price. However even an expert will charge higher prices than you'll find on the web.

Take the head off and turn hot tap on, pin should go in and out. If the spindle is leaking you will have to replace either the cartridge (no bypass) or the full valve (if it has the bypass). When you turn hot tap on does the flow (left hand pipe) pipe get hot ?

Hot water is fine its just the CH.

When you say take the head off do you mean the motor?
Should I do this with the boiler switched on?

My guess is he didn't read the instructions or didn't know its not as simple as wind it out and. Wind new one in if you do that the cartridge will snap :LOL:

Hot water is fine its just the CH.

When you say take the head off do you mean the motor?
Should I do this with the boiler switched on?

Turn power off, take head off, turn upside down and get someone to turn tap on and off, you should see the centre pin going in and out. Did you feel the flow pipe when the tap is running ? I know you say HW is ok but this is a quick check to see if diverters passing. And did you check if the valve has a bypass pipe at the back (i think the 40 does). Check with the power off.

Turn power off, take head off, turn upside down and get someone to turn tap on and off, you should see the centre pin going in and out. Did you feel the flow pipe when the tap is running ? I know you say HW is ok but this is a quick check to see if diverters passing. And did you check if the valve has a bypass pipe at the back (i think the 40 does). Check with the power off.

Cheers will give this a go tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back