Baxi duotec leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a Baxi duotec 28 he combi. There was some water on the floor and dripping from under the panel which you flip down to switch it on/adjust the timer.
It failed with an error code ( sorry I forgot code) which said it was due to a frozen condensate tube.
The condensate tube is not frozen.
There is a steel tray under where the gas fires - heat exchanger I think. This was full of water which I see is yellowish so probably from the central heating
I see that the condensate ‘vessel’ seems to have liquid from the central heating system- doesn’t look like condensate which I suppose would be clearish- by Vessel I mean the plastic container where the condensate collects before going outside.
Does anybody have an idea where this water would have come from and if it’s expensive to repair / worth repairing? The boiler is about 8 or more years old I think.
The only issue I had with it before was a humming noise which seemed to be solved by a pump replacement.
Cheers
Sam

Attachments

• C4527FAD-DBE6-4250-ADB7-69D2FA5552C0.jpeg
    C4527FAD-DBE6-4250-ADB7-69D2FA5552C0.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Could literally be from anywhere, but removing the combustion circuit cover should only be done by a competent person who can safely check the boiler afterwards.

Could literally be from anywhere, but removing the combustion circuit cover should only be done by a competent person who can safely check the boiler afterwards.
Thanks
Yes - the competent person is coming on In a couple of days hopefully - just looking to prepare myself for potential cost/new boiler. The leak happened overnight by the way - when the boiler was off. There was no leak before then. I mopped up the water from the tray and topped up the water from the green lever to the 1.5 mark and it works fine. I’ll check for more leaks on the floor. Hopefully it doesn’t mean a new boiler - could do with delaying that a bit
Cheers

Might be a hole in expansion vessel, had that a couple of times.

Sponsored Links
the grey corrugated tube at the back splits check that.
but that a is fair amount of water is your condense pipe going into a rainwater down pipe by anychance

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
the grey corrugated tube at the back splits check that.
but that a is fair amount of water is your condense pipe going into a rainwater down pipe by anychance
Thank you - I will ask the engineer to check tomorrow. The condensate pipe goes through wall and into a soil pipe I think. The thing, is would condensate be condensed water from the atmosphere? As I see the water in that drip tray and in the plastic condensate container is yellow ish and looks like it came from the heating system water - it looks like the water I saw around when they changed the pump.

Have a look at the diverter valve under the black motor. These leak quite regularly, fairly cheap and easy fix.
Haven’t known them to fill where the fan/vessel and combustion chamber are though.

Yes- I just looked and I see that that valve is below the tray that was full of water.

I topped water up and switched on and it’s working fine - not sure why this water would appear - it has happened before asi saw water coming out of the boiler once before a few months ago but I dint look inside to see where from - thought I might be related to the pump issue. No leaks inside now but if it happened before it will happen again so needs to be sorted .

Thank you - I will ask the engineer to check tomorrow. The condensate pipe goes through wall and into a soil pipe I think. The thing, is would condensate be condensed water from the atmosphere? As I see the water in that drip tray and in the plastic condensate container is yellow ish and looks like it came from the heating system water - it looks like the water I saw around when they changed the pump.
If going into a soil pipe it must have an abreast,if you have heavy rain and the down pipe is blocked it will back up into the boiler

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok
I’m not sure what abreast is but it’s connected about a meter away and it slopes down. There has been no rain here for a few weeks (amazing I know). I sponged the water out and it definitely was water from the heating - it smelt - and the boiler pressure had dropped from 1.5 to 0.5 so I’m pretty sure this water is from the boiler.

Also there is only 1 flat above (I’m ground floor) going into the soil pipe and the occupant was away till yesterday so there would have been nothing coming down the soil pipe.
Is the condensate pipe actually connected to the heating water? In my mind I assumed it was collecting water condensed from the atmosphere. Is that right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back