Baxi ecogen boiler

Sponsored Links
From what i hear from the testing/trialing period they have shown a lot of promise. BG and Calor to roll out in september.

Yeah supposedly only being supplied to BG and Valor for now.

However... went to one today installed by a couple of guys that do renewables (well their gas safe guy installed it-they obtained it), they did say it wasn't that easy to get hold of...

Looks good tho - tech wise - not aestetically ;)

Sponsored Links
It isn't clear how much it costs.

It also isn't clear how they can claim a washing machine only uses 600w in the sales guff.

Most of the boiler manufacturers have a CHP ready to go. I haven't seen a cost/benefit study with enough detail to make sense of yet.

Worth adding that Poxi Batterton haven't got a good track record for launching innovation onto the market.

Suprima and Envoy come to mind.

Use's a stirling engine I believe ? which dates back to 1800 & something named after the inventor Robert Stirling a scot , believe he was a vicar/ pastor ? believe technically the engine is refered to as a external combustion engine as opposed to a car engine which is an internal combustion engine ?? think I am right ?

Are they any good? time will tell, personally I would wait & see , alot of boiler manus have introduced new models into the market ( dumped might be a better word ?) to a fanfare of trumpets some of which are probably only fit for the nearest skip , Baxi are no exception !!

Looks like the basic Stirling engine runs from a 6kW boiler which can be modulated down to 3kW. This is able to generate 1.1kW of electricity. In addition there is a further 18kW of power available for heating or water, but not connected with electricity production.

It is difficult to define the efficiency of electricity production from these things since they can use what is effectively waste heat. Therefore you can in some circumstances define the efficiency to be way above 100%. In practice there is little waste heat from a condensing boiler, certainly not 1.1kW of waste heat or the 3kW or more you would need to generate that electricity. It isn't clear what the efficiency is in terms of extra gas used compared to a plain old condensing boiler vs actual electricity generated.

Baxi and The Energy Savings Trust have been running case studies since 2006, but they won't publish actual apples vs apples figures, only stupid comparisons with a previous less efficient boiler. My assumption from this is that the figures don't stack up. The feed-in tariff for CHP is not very generous (10p/kWH plus another 3p if you export that power to the grid) and the price of these things appears to be three or four times a regular boiler, plus more expensive installation.

That boiler will apparently not generate electricity unless there is a demand for heat ( to use the waste heat ).

But it does not HAVE to fire the heating section if there is insufficient demand.

I dont think it has a future apart from in museums!

The man at Vaillant said they are not going to roll it out as the technology has passed it by and the future is electric/solar power sources.

Its odd that all of these new energy ideas are talked about but the simple basic technical information is not being published. That makes me think that its not very good when analysed.

Tony

From what ive been shown on these the only way you will get back your money from the initial outlay is to run the boiler 24/7.

The only people that will have one are the green brigade with more money than sense that think having the ecogen will save the earth.

Well that might make sense if the electricity generating section was efficient and the waste power could heat water.

But after a day like today with cylinders of solar hot water and a car battery full of power from the PV cells whats needed is some a/c on stored power.

Currently its 22.1° outside and 26.8° inside and I am running the fan to keep me cooler!

Tony

At 0122hrs its dark outside and neighbours might think its a bit odd for somebody to be sitting outside with a computer drinking wine!

At least inside I can run the fan to give a cooling effect.

Now its 26.0° inside and 28.3° outside !

Its very well insulated with a r/c concrete inner leaf which has a high thermal capacity.

Its now 20.0° outside but still 26.5° inside.

Hopefully its going to get a bit cooler because I found it a bit warm outside today when it was about 29° during the afternoon.

Tony

That's a hell of a fan you have there; it's warping time! you latest post is earlier than the earlier one

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:40 pm
Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:18 pm?

just joshing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back