Baxi ignition fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 yr old baxi 100he plus.

Just recently it has started playing up. If it is starting up from cold it tries to start 3 times whilst making a fast clicking noise, and a couple loud booms and then goes to a fault state. The led fault pattern indicates an 'ignition fault'. But when I press the reset it then starts up first time. From then on it runs ok.
Any ideas?
Also could you please tell me - when should the sytem pressure read in the green between 1 and 2.5 bar. Is it when the thing is cold or running ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Don't know the first question, but system pressure should be just over 1 Bar when system is cold.

THE loud boom is the build upm of gas when its clicking its sparking but its not good enough to light the gas then when it fills with gas it will ignite thats the boom you will be hearing i think so anyway

possibly a faulty meter governor. You could risk a call to transco, but if they think theres something wrong with the boiler they may cap you off completely :confused:
otherwise your gonna need an RGI to investigate the problem.
Also, I think was this model that had a badly designed ignition electrode that sparked outside the combustion chamber instead of inside, it was modified shortly after. That would also cause the fault you describe

All in all your best bet is to call out a competent RGI.

Sponsored Links
It wont be the gas metre it will be the boiler so it could be (1) poor spark or may not work all the time (2) blocked gas injector not allowing enough gas through

Also, I think was this model that had a badly designed ignition electrode that sparked outside the combustion chamber instead of inside, it was modified shortly after. That would also cause the fault you describe

All in all your best bet is to call out a competent RGI.

Pretty sure that was the preupgrade model so agree that that would b the 1st thing i would check, also if it has been doing it 4 a while the felt seal round the burner can be blown out, may also need replacing

Mickyg would this be causing 24i worcster to fail to ignite most nights around 6-8 when gas is at its peak time the governor might be knackered,i apologise if i dismissed your reply before i will write this in my boiler book it will come in handy i bet

Mickyg would this be causing 24i worcster to fail to ignite most nights around 6-8 when gas is at its peak time the governor might be knackered,i apologise if i dismissed your reply before i will write this in my boiler book it will come in handy i bet

I would probably say no. Most common time of day for a governor to fail is first thing in the morning when its been sitting idle through a cold night. You can check it. If you ask the customer to leave the boiler off over night, get there first thing and check the inlet gas pressure as the boiler fires and you will see the pressure drop quite badly before rising back up to working pressure.
no offence taken, we're all students til we retire ;)

By the way, yes, there is a possibilty a faulty governor may cause the problem you describe, but I would be a little suspicious if its always at the time you say. I guess it might be sitting unused all day til that point. At the end of the day, if you can check the inlet WP at time of failure your in business ;)

Dont you guys always check the working pressure at the boiler inlet when you start investigation ignition problems ( using a faster response water gauge ).

Tony

personally yes, but I know many people who work for a rather large well known company who don't :rolleyes:

I had a problem with this style of boiler once.

According to the tenants it only ever locked out first thing in the morning. But never when I went there later on !

Everything checked fine but I had the govenor replaced anyway.

As it was for a letting agent who is a bit dodgey about paying I was not going to put in a lot of effort. The ignition, condensate trap ( which I dissed to no benefit ), and gas supply all seemed fine so I was left with the possibility of a PCB or gas valve being intermittent. But why first thing in the morning.

I never did find out what was the cause and the Agent said they had called baxi and it was "very expensive". To him that was probably over £100 but might have been their £200 fixed price repair.

I expect they changed both the gas valve and the PCB as that would have cured the fault and avoided any further visits if they got it wrong at first. Such an advantage to have a van load of parts and no one concerned about whats used!

Tony

As it was for a letting agent who is a bit dodgey about paying I was not going to put in a lot of effort.

Why bother working for him then? I certainly wouldn't. :mad:

Once bitten twice shy :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back