Baxi Maxflow PRV- not a problem, just a query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just fitted a brand new PRV on my Baxi Maxflow Combi WM, which is connected to a sealed system, I flushed it through, pressurised the system and turned the heating on. The new valve seemed to be leaking more water past the pressure washer than the old one, until the boiler had been through a couple of cycles of heating up and cooling down. Now all seems to be well. Is it normal to need a couple of cycles of heating and cooling for the PRV washer to 'bed in'? Thanks and please pardon my ignorance.

Sponsored Links
no its not normal

Did you fill the system up and then open the PRV?

Sponsored Links
I think he just overpressurised it it expanded, ejected and now its at a lower pressure

Hi! The punter here. I manualy opened the PRV a little, as I started to re-pressurise, thinking this would expel any air trapped behind the valve. I also ran some more water off through it by manually opening it when it was dripping, in case I'd overpressurised. After that there is no drip. I'd only pressurised to the 'normal when cold' line.

you got muck in your PRV

need to change it again methinks me old mukka

Many thanks, corgiman. At least they're not expensive, if I have to fit another one!

Expansion vessels need repressurizing.

You were also right; the pressure was almost nil in the expansion tank, which probably caused the pressure to rise to the level that caused the old PRV to open and start leaking in the first place. I repressurised the air in the expansion vessel, let the new PRV 'snap' shut and now all seems to be well with no leak and no high rise in pressure when the system is hot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back