Baxi Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a Baxi Ecoblue Advance 19 Heat Only boiler. It's about 5 years old and was installed before I moved into the property. There's a hot water tank on the landing with CH pump and three port valve next to it and two cold tanks in the loft, cold water storage and the header tank for central heating. Everything has worked for the three years I've been in the property but after returning from holiday this week the boiler is displaying 6 red flashes (described as a "Miscellaneous" error by Baxi) and doesn't fire. I've had two plumbers come out, separately, and been told two different things. The first one said CH pump and three port valve need replacing. I agree the CH pump might do just because it's in a bit of a state but it seems to still work so wasn't convinced it was the problem. The three port valve, I fitted it a year ago and when testing it it works fine. I was quoted 420 quid to do all this and it just didn't feel right so declined. Next plumber inspected the pump and valve and said they were fine but it may be the fan on the boiler has gone. I tend to believe him. But, anyway, a new issue cropped up today: the heating controls are all completely off but the CH pump started running this morning. No idea why. It only turned off when I switched off power to the boiler. Does this suggest the pump is faulty as well as the fan or does it suggest it's completely the pump or any other scenario? I don't mind paying to get things fixed but I don't want to pay a load of cash out for unnecessary work.

Sponsored Links
on these the burner ,pcb and fan all come as one unit and are around 400 quid a fixed price repair from baxi would be the cheapest option at around 300 quid

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Baxi have quoted 700 for repair and parts. They agreed with Plumber 2 that the fan wasn't working. It's not in warranty due to no complete service history - I only got it serviced about a month ago - so I'm guessing a new boiler is probably the most cost effective solution. Just seems a waste to me for a boiler that's only 5 years old.

It suggests to me that your DHW was cool so the thermostat turned on the pump and boiler, but as you say boiler will not work.
Would that happen if the controls are specifically set to "off" for the hot water? If so, why wouldn't it have happened every day because the tank has been cold for a while.

Baxi have quoted 700 for repair and parts. They agreed with Plumber 2 that the fan wasn't working. It's not in warranty due to no complete service history - I only got it serviced about a month ago - so I'm guessing a new boiler is probably the most cost effective solution. Just seems a waste to me for a boiler that's only 5 years old.
suggest you phone baxi up again someone has given you the wrong price it is not 700 quid or you could try BG as they are also around 300 quid

If you are going down the new boiler route baxi has sorted the issue out with this combined unit .
So quickest boiler change would be using a baxi 619 which will go straight back in place with no alterations at all with 7 year warranty or the baxi 819 with 10 year warranty (same boiler) and system filter added .
New boiler would be in in less than a couple of hours then flushing time

• Thanks
If you are going down the new boiler route baxi has sorted the issue out with this combined unit .
So quickest boiler change would be using a baxi 619 which will go straight back in place with no alterations at all with 7 year warranty or the baxi 819 with 10 year warranty (same boiler) and system filter added .
New boiler would be in in less than a couple of hours then flushing time
Tbh the OP might be put off Baxi’s :unsure:

First fix repair bg 120 quid plus a years contract.

How many times have you had it serviced? Miss a couple and most manufacturers, Baxi would be one I'd have thouoght, are understanding and make a small charge but fix it. £700 sounds too high for a fixed price repair, most manu's are around the £300 mark.

How many times have you had it serviced? Miss a couple and most manufacturers, Baxi would be one I'd have thouoght, are understanding and make a small charge but fix it. £700 sounds too high for a fixed price repair, most manu's are around the £300 mark.
Because it is a crock of shoite, all manus will quote for a FPR, I have never come across any manufacturer that will quote over the phone for any repair except a FPR

• Thanks
I wasn't involved in the conversation over the phone but my partner and the plumber both confirmed that they said 700 total.

I've only been in the property three years and the boiler was installed in 2016 with no service history so I didn't bother to get it serviced annually. However, for some reason, I decided to get it serviced a month or so ago and Baxi have now accepted evidence of that service as enough to come out and repair it under warranty.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back