Baxi Solo 15HE boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new PCB fitted after experiencing problems with this boiler at Christmas. The boiler was locking out regularly and initially could be reset, but then stopped working.
The boiler is working, but still experiencing problems and not sure if the PCB needed changing in the first place.

The boiler is a lot noisier than it used to be when the central heating is running. The boiler is often locking out (usually after the central heating is turned off) although it occasionally happens when the heating is on. There is water leaking from the boiler - is this likely to be a problem with the Heat Exchanger?

I would really appreciate advice on the best course of action. Should I sign up with Baxi or British Gas in the hope that they can sort it? How much would it be likely to cost to get it repaired by a plumber?

Sponsored Links
not sure if the PCB needed changing in the first place.
SOunds like id DID from your description.

The boiler is a lot noisier than it used to be when the central heating is running. The boiler is often locking out (usually after the central heating is turned off) although it occasionally happens when the heating is on.
Try turning the temperature down on the boiler. Could be sludge leading to overheating, or a stat, or the pump, or the burner pressure, or a plumbing fault combining with an old boiler to be important where you got away with it before. Or something else.

There is water leaking from the boiler - is this likely to be a problem with the Heat Exchanger?
Could be anything.

Should I sign up with Baxi or British Gas in the hope that they can sort it?
Youcan't take out insurance for something that's already broke.
They'll say it needs a powerflush at great ££. It might, of course, but they will anyway.

How much would it be likely to cost to get it repaired by a plumber?
Plumber wouldn't know enough. You nead a boiler/heating guy.
£££? How could we know?

You have decided not to tell us who diagnosed the PCB as being at fault and replaced it apparently without curing it.

The problem sounds to me as being likely to be caused by inadequate water or flow in the boiler. That may be causing it to overheat and may have damaged the heat exchanger causing it to leak.

But the actual fault can only be correctly identified be a proper engineer at the boiler.

It sounds as if you are reluctant to spend any money getting it fixed properly. The cost will depend mainly on whats leaking. If its the main HE then that could be several hundred pounds. But it could be a minor leak in a joint.

The obvious advice is to get a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back