baxi solo 2 overheat problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi solo 2 40pf boiler. The problem ive got is that when i turn my CH & HW on after about half hour to an hour the boiler decides to turn it self off because it has over heated.

So i was wondering is the thermostat not working properly because its not telling the boiler the rads are too hot & thats why it overheats?

Also when i turn the CH & HW off by the wall the burner light does not turn off? So when i switch it off by the mains the boiler makes aload of banging noises

Sponsored Links
The boiler is turned off by its control system which uses a temperature sensor which is managed by the boiler PCB.

However, your last paragraph makes me very worried as that could be caused by by a gas valve which is sticking on.

As that senario can be very dangerous and cause the boiler to catch fire I would suggest that you strongly consider getting a professional in to see whats wrong.

Tony

I have a baxi solo 2 40pf boiler. The problem ive got is that when i turn my CH & HW on after about half hour to an hour the boiler decides to turn it self off because it has over heated.

So i was wondering is the thermostat not working properly because its not telling the boiler the rads are too hot & thats why it overheats?

It is putting more heat into the water than can be dissipated at the radiators, so it modulates by cutting in and out. The Solo is not good at cycle control so it constantly clunks on and off.

Also when i turn the CH & HW off by the wall the burner light does not turn off? So when i switch it off by the mains the boiler makes aload of banging noises

Without turning my system back on I don't remember the light behaviour.
The pump is meant to run for a couple of minutes after the burners have turned off. It is not a good thing to turn the mains off. By doing so, the circulation stops and the water boils.

But the burner light should go off immediately there is no further demand for heat. Thats when programmer is off or when thermostats are satisfied.

As stated, mains should always be left connected to the boiler so the pump over run can operate to remove excess heat from the cast iron heat exchanger.

It may be there is no fault with that aspect of the boiler and just a user malfunction!

Sponsored Links
As a further thought, it sounds as though the boiler is working - it is turning itself off when the water is hot.

If the request for heat is not going away when expected (both CH & HW are turned down), then a thermostat may be stuck.

To turn the boiler off, do so at the programmer or turn the boiler's control knob (next to the lights) to off. Wait 2 minutes before turning the mains off.

The mains supply to a boiler should not normally be turned off except for maintenance or repair.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back