Baxi Solo 2 PF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Baxi Solo 2 PF which is coming on for ten years old. It has already had a problem with the fan at the top. Basically the metal arms that suspend the extraction fan warped, so I..err spaced them out to keep it going. I looked at the part and it was quite expensive, and decided my bodge was sufficient.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is starting to make more vibration type noises, nothing serious, but in the back of my mind know that it is time to do something about it.

Knowing the cost of a service, and the replacement fan, and possibly more parts, I am wondering if it would be prudent to get a new boiler?

Thought I would register here and get some sound advice!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Being a cast iron boiler and assuming it has been looked after all these years and good inhibitor added at regular intervals in its life, I would expect you to get several more years life out of this after replacing the fan.

Only you can make the financial descision as to what is best for you, but assuming it is on a fairly up to date fully pumped system you would probably only gain 15 - 20% saving on gas use costs by replacing it, not the usual 30% spread around.

In all honesty its never been touched in nine years..... :confused:

I work offshore, and am away for six months of the year....the years pass, and I guess it has sort of caught up with me.

I am sure the boiler will live on...but for once I am wondering if I should do the right thing?

My dad just had a Vaillant 418 system supplied and fitted for £1000 all in, which I thought was OK. His system was state of the arc, whereas mine is relatively new, so should be an easy install?

Thanks for the prompt reply, its much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

The 418 should be a straight forward swap, but you system will need flushing and cleansing.

£1000 seems ridiculously cheap, I would have thought more around the £1500 -£1600 + VAT :eek:

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, it was drained down and flushed a number of times (as he had a new hot water tank a few days prior to the boiler), but not 'power' flushed...

It was my original opinion that if I was going to spend close to £500 for fan, service, others parts etc, that I might as well change out for £1000....

But if that sounds a bit dodgy then I dunno... :confused:

I think the repair costs should be much lower than £500. The fan might be around £150 but CET do a refurbished one for about £50 and you might well find something cheap on eBay.

Also the costs of installing and running a new boiler will be much higher than you expect. £1000 for installation is hard to believe - the boiler and flue alone will be £700 or more. Plus a modern condensing boiler will require regular maintenance - you won't get away with fit-and-forget like you have with the Solo.

Am I correct that the only moving parts are the fan assembly, so any noise I am hearing is most likely to be this...

Apologies for dumb questions...

Can anyone express an opinion on new/reconditioned? As it appears that my genuine part 'warped' I am a little sceptical of buying new again, for fear of getting the same problem...

Only a personal opinion, but I only ever supply and fit new parts.

Thanks Dave..

I have mailed supaspares to see if that is a new price or reconditioned...

Mark

Ho ho...the irony....boiler packed up this afternoon. Opened it up and fan light on...but fan not spinning and loud humm (assume fan motor). Spun the fan around, and it did not spin easily...

So how much for a service and to fit the fan in the S.E. (Kent) ?

Cheers,

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back