Baxi Solo 2 PF80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help me here.

My boiler has worked flawlessly for years but recently has stopped igniting the main burner. Everything works as normal, pump on, power on, fan on, igniter on (sparking) but no pilot light and hence no main burner

Occasionally the pilot will light up and the main burner will click and introduce gas but then it will all go out again.

The dodgy bit... If I lift the bottom of the combustion panel away from the boiler box the pilot lights immediately and the main burner comes on straight away, I leave it for ten seconds or so and then replace the panel and clip on the outer panel and everything works perfectly. It will even re-ignite properly for upto about an hour after being on.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a fan venturi blockage of some sort if it lights when cover off, although are you sure it is sparking. This doesn't fit with the cover off and igniting :confused:

Definitely sparking, I can hear it and see it nice and bright through the little window, it occasionally catches and produces a small flame which appears to be almost immediately blown out. Sometimes this little flame last long enough for the main burner gas to be introduced but then it all goes out.

Without the front on everything works perfectly as advertised. :(

Could be pilot injector partially blocked. Needs blowing through with compressor ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks but am wondering why it would work flawlessly sans front?

As I start to lift the front away you can hear the air rushing in and instant light up.

Start with the basics...

Clean or replace the pilot injector

Compressor!!!! :eek:

Pin Vice and guitar wire works for me.

Sounds like PCB fault to me, but the injector must be checked first.

As I start to lift the front away you can hear the air rushing in and instant light up.

This cannot happen.

Dave

Flue

How long is it?

What orientation does it take? How many bends etc?

Where does it leave the boiler? Side, back or top?

The flue is about 24 inches and straight out the back from where the fan sits.

Soggy - I don't know what you mean by it cannot happen... This is how I have lit my boiler for the last 4 weeks and have just lit it again a moment ago.?

Compressor?

Pin Vice and Guitar wire?

Why can it light front off but not front on? :(

Small elbow in plastic pipe off APS sometimes splits.

If the boiler's in the bathroom the householder usually provides pilot jet cleaners in a little rack, often several slightly different grades with different coloured handles.

Thanks for all the help so far. It will be interesting to see what the engineer reckons.

Just to recap - The general opinion is that the pilot injector needs cleaning and blowing through?

Any other ideas for me?

What's APS?

Air pressure switch.. SOLO 2 dirty pilot gives symptons you describe with case on there is a certain pressure within boiler case thus it needs a strong pilot to light by opening bottom of case you are affecting internal pressure allowing pilot to light and main burner to light which then keeps just enough heat on sensor to stay on

Just checked the APS, no problems there. With the pipe disconnected I get Fan on and then nothing. Pipe back on then Fan On and sparking - So I shall discount that for the moment.

Normal service has been resumed :D

namsag & baxpoti you were spot on, I blew through the pilot injector and everything is fine.

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back