Baxi Solo 2 Won't Ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Baxi Solo 2 40PF, the pilot light has gone out and I can not see any way to relight it.

The timer works etc...but... there are no lights on the boiler unit at all. There is a ticking noise, like it's trying to fire up. The same noise when you press the button to light a gas stove (sorry don't know the technical terms).

Is there anyway of relighting the pilot light myself?

I bought the house last August and I'm pretty sure it's the same boiler that was put in when the house was built 20 years ago. Would it be best to just replace the boiler? The pipes also make a screeching/whaling noise when the water starts running! Is that something that would need fixing before fitting a new boiler!!??

I'm trying to save spending money as I've already started forking out for a new bathroom and got a (unplanned but very much wanted) lil one on the way!! Everything happens at the same time eh?!

Lots of questions there - really appreciate your help on this and thank you very very much in advance.

Cheers,
Al

Sponsored Links
The pilot light in a Solo 2 is not permanently lit. It lights automatically each time the boiler gets a 'call for heat' signal from the controls (timer / thermostat) and is extinguished when there is no further requirement for heat. The ticking noise suggests that it is trying to light, but for some reason fails to do so.

You cannot light it manually and even if you could it would go out again as soon as it had completed its cycle.

So unfortunately there is nothing you can do, other than call a registered professional especially as there may be other issues to investigate.

the pipe noise when you run water could just be the ball valve in loft which are a few quid to buy.

Are you sure there are no lights at all?
Can you see the boiler spark through the inspection window in the case?

Sponsored Links
Have you had it serviced/ was it serviced before you moved in?

If it's sparking probably a simple fault I'd get someone out to service, but tell them there's a problem first.
Nothing worse than turning up for a service to find out it doesn't work and you've got a fully booked day.

I had one of these on Tuesday doing this. I found a big spider had met his end by deciding to sit on the pilot and got electrocuted :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back