Baxi Solo 24 HE boiler - heat exchanger broken x3 in a year

Well - it's all mended and the culprit was simply sludge that was keeping some valve open continuously so boiler kept running and the 6 core on the heat exchanger overheated.

I was very surprised as it was power flushed just 3 years ago and the heat team chap last year said it was a clean system ..however that was the official diagnosis so I need to try to correct it so it doesn't happen again.

The engineer today put in some sludge stuff that needs to sit for 2 weeks and then be washed out. At that 2 week period I will change 3 more radiators to new ones and get a magnet attached to the system.

Should I be doing anything else ???? Is a power flush essential or is there a gentler way as last time I had power flushes I had 8 pin hole leaks in the 3 months afterwards

It would seem that last year there was no inhibitor added by that heat team engineer as it doesn't appear anywhere on the bill but does on the bill for the other system with the same issue more recently. Maybe it hasn't caused it by not having it but I'm sure it didn't help.

DP you were totally correct - there is no range rating on these , they self regulate.

He said they can overrun and it may help in some instances, but because it was definitely sludge he doesn't think it's appropriate in my case today.

He agrees on the thermal shock because the sludge left some valve constantly open and 6 core somethings took the brunt of it and stopped it before further major damage was caused.

Gas112 - he said he switched the a wire to do with the pump. He said either way would work and there wasn't a true right or wrong way but this would help regulate something better for me. He knew there are not TVR's on all radiators.

Regarding the flow / return temps he said there should be an 11c difference initially but once the boiler has been on for a bit it isn't as distinct a difference and doesn't cause concern.

I would really like to thank you all very much indeed for all your time, help and advice. It was very much appreciated indeed.

Meg xx

Sponsored Links
11 degree difference that is wrong for a start .
Heat team guy switched the wire , strange one that as your boiler would probably only have 3 core to it as thats all required for your system to alter would probably require another length of flex run

I dont understand about this valve and six core.

Regardless, it seems the pump overrun was not previously connected and the engineer did.

Whats the financial aspects of this? Have all the repairs and replacements been covered by the annual fixed fee?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back