baxi solo he A 24 HEAT EXCHANGER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just swapped this Baxi solo he A 24 HEAT EXCHANGER over as there was water coming out of the side i am not a boiler engineer but i was wondering as theres nothing wrong with the exchanger just this cap thing popped out the side is there a way of fixing it or is it shot?
IMG_5162.JPG

Sponsored Links
"Core plugs" - they are an 'interferance' fit - they need to be drifted (knocked) into the hole with a shouldered dowl or similar tool that pushes against the edge lip only and not reach the bottom of the plug. A big hammer and a few knocks until the outer lip is flush or same as the others. Obviously you will need the correct size core plug and the surfaces need to be absolutely clean. Do not use any sealant. Surfaces can be smoothed with very fine emery paper if there are any rough spots.

Good luck.

"Core plugs" - they are an 'interferance' fit - they need to be drifted (knocked) into the hole with a shouldered dowl or similar tool that pushes against the edge lip only and not reach the bottom of the plug. A big hammer and a few knocks until the outer lip is flush or same as the others. Obviously you will need the correct size core plug and the surfaces need to be absolutely clean. Do not use any sealant. Surfaces can be smoothed with very fine emery paper if there are any rough spots.

Good luck.
so what you are saying if i can knock this core plug back in so its flush like the others then its good to go?

Also what would of caused this core plug to pop out?

Has the supplier been notified ?

The plug can be reinserted,make a tool to evenly push it home.Some loctite paste can be used as a sealing agent then fully pressure test the hx before putting back into service.

Why it came out ,there are many reasons :!:

Sponsored Links
Has the supplier been notified ?

The plug can be reinserted,make a tool to evenly push it home.Some loctite paste can be used as a sealing agent then fully pressure test the hx before putting back into service.

Why it came out ,there are many reasons :!:
Wish i knew that before i bought another one!!

Ok thanks for your help

They all leak, usually the heads of the stainless bolts snap off when you undo them, the flow switch breaks into a hundred pieces and the return fitting siezes so solid even hulk couldn't smash it out!. You did well to get it swapped, is it fairly new?

They all leak, usually the heads of the stainless bolts snap off when you undo them, the flow switch breaks into a hundred pieces and the return fitting siezes so solid even hulk couldn't smash it out!. You did well to get it swapped, is it fairly new?
Had no leaks since i have had it except this core plug, and yes it took me ages to swap out but now i have another heat exchanger now that is fully working as thre core plug just slots back in! So if anyone interested?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back