Baxi Solo 3 60 PF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Got a Baxi Solo 3 (60 PF) conventional gas boiler running an S Plan system. When system is up to temperature, boiler main burner (and pilot) keeps dropping out and then re-igniting again straight away. Not a serious problem at the mo but is getting worse and I want to fix it before if fails completely. Fault sequence is:
System calls for heat; boiler runs normally (during warm up from cold) with boiler, fan, pilot, and burner LED's on; then main burner drops out and burner and pilot LED's go off; soleniod(s) click; pilot and burner LED's come on and main burner fires. It all takes about a second and happens constantly until boiler shuts off on internal thermostat (as normal). When stat switches boiler on again, faulty sequence re-occurs. The fan never stops running. Obviously all external system controls are ok.
Fault finding flowchart in back of servicing manual isn't much help 'cos it's not a solid fault. Calls most of the expensive bits, depending on which leg you take, pilot, burner, etc.
My hunch is one of the soleniods on the gas valve but would appreciate any advice, inc. if it is a soleniod, can they be cleaned/repaired, or do they have to be replaced?
Boiler history is: installed 5 years ago; replaced pcb 3 years ago (pump running constantly); replaced a.p.s and tube last year; regularly serviced by corgi reg. eng.
Know I should use corgi guy again but; a) spent enough on this boiler already and don't want to get ripped off e.g. paying for whole gas valve when might just need soleniod and b) as an ex sparky, still 16th edition qualified, I'm quite capable of fitting any parts myself.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
as an ex sparky, still 16th edition qualified, I'm quite capable....
So have you checked electrical circuits to suspect components - thermostat, over-heat stat, APS, gas valve solenoid, etc, while in fault mode?

does the switched live supply on boiler pcb connection.remain live during fault.
use a meter as you probaly know.

Check the condition of the air pressure switch tubes & the plastic 90deg bend because if they are cracked or split your problem is the outcome. I take it the problem only occurs when the boiler has been on for approx. 2mins.

Sponsored Links
Yep. Quite difficult to check internal electrics under fault conditions as drop out period is momentary. However all components check out.
And yes, switched live connection on PCB does stay live. I know it's not a problem with any external controls.
Here's a good one though. Removed combustion box cover to check out circuits to a.p.s. and fan - fault never ocurred with cover off. Boiler cycled on and off under it's stat as normal. Put cover back on and fault re-ocurred. Got me thinking about air pressure problem. Then I saw new posting about a.p.s. tubes and elbows. Took them off for close inspection. Couldn't see anything obvious but after refitting, so far fault hasn't re-ocurred. May have been poor connection between tube - elbow - a.p.s. If fault does re-ocurr, I'll replace tubes and elbows.
Thanks for all the advice. First time I've used this forum and think it's great. Loads of good stuff on here. Will definitely use it again
Hasta la vista...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back