Baxi Solo 3 PFL 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a problem with my Baxi Solo 3 PFL 40 Boiler in which the Boiler cover and the radiators are getting extremely hot to the touch plus the temperature in the hot water tank is above the thermostat setting of 60 Degrees. I called out an Engineer who stated I need to replace the Flow Meter / Flow Sensor (he referred to the part as both names in seperate conversations). He has quoted me £85 plus VAT for the part. Does this seem a reasonable price for this part?
However, I've been online to try and confirm the price or maybe even supply the part for the Engineer to fit (as I'm assuming this work should only be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers), but I cannot find a part under this name for my Boiler. Could it be referred to as something else?

Sponsored Links
Flow switch is only required on a solo 3 if its fitted on plastic pipework and the number is 5107297

I've got a problem with my Baxi Solo 3 PFL 40 Boiler in which the Boiler cover and the radiators are getting extremely hot to the touch plus the temperature in the hot water tank is above the thermostat setting of 60 Degrees. I called out an Engineer who stated I need to replace the Flow Meter / Flow Sensor (he referred to the part as both names in seperate conversations). He has quoted me £85 plus VAT for the part. Does this seem a reasonable price for this part?
However, I've been online to try and confirm the price or maybe even supply the part for the Engineer to fit [/i](as I'm assuming this work should only be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers), but I cannot find a part under this name for my Boiler. Could it be referred to as something else?

That is exactly why I don't give too much info., and why he is probably not being too clear. You've called him out, he's identified the problem (presumably), and now you want to get the bit and DIY.

I hate pi55 taking customers. And before you say otherwise, I quote:

(as I'm assuming this work should only be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers),

Which suggests you would if you could.

I've got a problem with my Baxi Solo 3 PFL 40 Boiler in which the Boiler cover and the radiators are getting extremely hot to the touch plus the temperature in the hot water tank is above the thermostat setting of 60 Degrees.

Doubt very much this would be the case.

Sponsored Links
In response to your reply expertgasman, I have no intentions of carrying out this work myself otherwise I'd have posted on this forum prior to calling out the engineer! The reason I stated that assumption is that I am aware this is primarily a DIY forum and to show I was not carrying out this work myself. The reason for my post was to see if the price quoted seemed reasonable as I'm assuming anyone with common sense would do prior to agreeing to the works.

All you have to do then mate is call another engineer and ask for a price.

Don't see a problem with comparing cost of parts, just remember the warranty / guarantee issue. ie if its your part you won't get one.

Did you pay this fellow to diagnose the fault?

How much did he charge you?

I am happy to diagnose faults for customers but do charge for this. Then after they have paid its up to them to decide if they want me to do the work or anyone else or even themselves.

Now a word about spare parts. If we want to get them over the counter we have to pay inflated prices from Parts Centre.

Its always cheaper to get them from online suppliers in the cheap north and have them delivered a couple of days later.

Unfortunately, some small minded customers think that if they see a fan on the internet from a supplier priced at £77 then thats what they should expect us to pay.

Firstly they forget they have to add £15.40 vat to make it £92.40.

Then they forget they have to add £6.90 carriage.

And 95% of customers still think they they can get that part for less than £100.

I've paid the engineer £105 to date to diagnose this problem. I'll be happy to continue with this guy but just wanted to sense check the price before I agree to the works. The part has a 5 day lead time so couldnt have had it repaired immediately. I'd be reluctant to order the part myself in case i order the incorrect one. I'll be taking on board the reply regards warranty.

I've paid the engineer £105 to date to diagnose this problem. I'll be happy to continue with this guy but just wanted to sense check the price before I agree to the works. The part has a 5 day lead time so couldnt have had it repaired immediately. I'd be reluctant to order the part myself in case i order the incorrect one. I'll be taking on board the reply regards warranty.

Ok, your comment about looking at this site before calling a plumber isn't really valid.

Having said that, if you really did pay the plumber £105, then I apologise. As an earlier post pointed out, buying the part yourself will entail YOU taking the warranty issue on the chin. I have no problem fitting client supplied parts, provided they are not refurbs, but I will only fit them ONCE. If it fails, I would charge for identifying fault, part removal and subsequent refitting. That is why we have to make profits on parts - we become responsible for our supplies.

By the way, how is there a 5 day lead time? This should be available next day. Generally. On the other hand, HE may not be available for 5 days.

And anyway, I'm not sure he's Id'd properly. But 've not been there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back