Baxi Solo 40/4 rs problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, This is my first post in the forums. I`ve been searching the forums for a couple of days now trying to find a reason why my Baxi Solo 40/4 rs boiler wont fire up. Plumbing and central heating is all foreign to me so i was hoping i could get a little help from the experts! The pilot light will ignite but the burner doesn`t fire up when the system is calling for heat. I`ve turned up the thermostats on the boiler, water tank and the one on the wall but still nothing. I thought it might be the boiler thermostat is knackered but i thought i better find out first before i start buying parts. I changed the thermocouple 2 months ago which cured the pilot problem i had, (kept going out) and i had it all working fine until last week. Only bought the house 6 months ago and as far as i know, the boiler hasn`t been serviced for a while.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, i just didn`t want to fork out hundreds of pounds on this boiler to get it fixed when i am planning on ripping it out and having a new one fitted in 3 months when my extension on the house is complete! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the overheat button has not popped out :?: . Can't remember exactly where it is but will be a reddish/brown button sticking ou about 1/4" diameter.

Thanks for the quick reply. Just checked for the overheat button but can`t find it anywhere! Will it definately have one? The reason i ask is because it seems like a really old boiler and i remember reading on another forum that most of the old boilers didn`t have the overheat button, you just simply shut down the system for a couple of minutes and it resets itself. I`ve just tried this and after about a minute there is a loud click. Tried firing it up again but still no joy with the burner. :cry:

Yes its got one. Try looking in casing around gas valve area. Could be partially hidden to one side or underneath. Sorry but I cannot remember exactly on this model :oops:

Sponsored Links
Overheat button is on the casing surrounding the main stat. But if this is ok and you are getting power to the boiler(make sure no isolating switches by the boiler are turned off) The fault will more than likely be the little balck solenoid on left hnd side of the gas valve . Held on with 2 screws and tkes 2 mins to chnge with no disturbance to gas or pressures part number 226669.

If it was overheat stat your pilot would not stay on so looks like solenoid. Don`t want to state obvious but you have turned the gas valve to main gas position after lighting pilot

Hi there, i have found and checked the overheat button, it was on the back of the thermostat and is fine. :rolleyes: .
The power to the boiler is ok and the isolator switch is in the on position and the pilot light stays lit, i have turned the gas control knob to the burner position but nothing happens so i guess i`ll go down the solenoid route, thank you. Can i just ask, is the solenoid what the thermostat connects to? Sorry if this is a dumb question but i ain`t that clued up on boiler parts! Also, is it an expensive part and do i have to turn off power and gas to fit it?
Thanks for all the help by the way guys, i REALLY appreciate it, especially on a saturday night when you really want to be relaxing, not talking about work!! :)

Yes power goes through stat to solenoid so providing thats happening its the solenoid. No need to turn the power or gas off just take the connector plug off solenoid it will either pull straight off or be held on with a screw. Then undo the 2 screws that hold solenoid and slide it off it`s shaft. Part should be round 40 quid.

Thank you for all your help, you guys really do know your stuff! ;)
Just had a quick check on google with the part number (thanks for that also!) and i managed to find one at keeptheheaton.com for 20 quid!!
Hope this works, the missus will stop wingeing at me then about how cold she is! :LOL:
Thanks again, i`ll let you know how i get on.

John

Thanks NAMSAG, all sorted now, new solenoid fitted and we`re all nice and warm now! Good Job! :D

Hi, I am having the same problem with our boiler and now need to order a solenoid as previously suggested. Problem is when you look at the gas valve unit I thought the main solenoid was on the right and is red but in previous replies it is suggested that it is on the left and black. Can anyone clarify for me which part of the gas valve I need to remove and replace. Black unit on the left as I look at it is slightly more complicated to remove than two screws and a shaft as mention in other answeres. Be really grateful of any assitance.

Dudes,
Massive thanks for the advice on this subject. I had exactly the same problem 2 days ago. I just replaced the solenoid and it works a treat now.

Thanks very much guys. Namsag, if you ever need help with any IT related stuff drop me a PM.

Cheers

Chris

Namsag thank you so much mate honestly saved me there 3 months no heating and read this bang next day flew on worst thing is i had 2 guys come out saying i need new boiler for a grand etc and i got the part for 40 quid god bless you sir

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back