Baxi Solo 50/4 PF - Fan Not Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Moved into a new house 18 months ago and the Baxi Solo 50/4 PF has worked fine. Got it serviced 2 weeks ago and have a problem - probably just a coincidence! No hot water or heating this morning.....

The pilot light is not lit and the overheat sensor has NOT kicked in as the button on the side has not popped out

- The thermostat is in demand mode
- Gas supply on
- I can hear the pump start, but no fan
- All 3 orange LED's on the front are on
- I have checked and the two pin plug to the fan is not seeing any voltage

Having followed the trouble shooting , the diagnostic is replace circuit board. I can get refurbed for about £70 and new £130.

This might sound daft, as I have no reason to doubt the troubleshoot guide, but is this a common problem and the circuit board really solve it?

I have tested the fuse on the PCB and some of the resistors with nothing obvious problem. Anyone know any typical fault on the PCB - just out of interest?

When the fan runs, the auto ignite sequence should start?

Is DP around anymore (Glasgow, I think?). He was fantastic with help on my Vokera at my old house :)

I'm in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Any know somewhere to walk in and buy a new or refurbed PCB?

Cheers Guys,
Robbie

Sponsored Links
DP is still around but I expect that Leeds is a bit far for him.

I doubt he goes further than Shetland!

If you have correctly done those tests then its most likely to be the PCB. Probably the fan relay too!

I don't approve of repaired PCBs but many do buy them. If you must get one then I would suggest CET in Watford.

Would have expected you could find a new one for less than £100. Would probably even let you have one of my stock if you returned the old one as I do like to identify faults.

But I have not seen your boiler myself and only using my best guesses.

Tony

Cheers Tony - I remember your name too for the Vokera discussions.....

You mean one of the 2 relays on the PCB is the fan relay.....i see

I think i'm at the point where I have to believe the troubleshoot guide so need a new/refurb PCB

Are yours new from stock and not refurbed? I've seen a new one on ebay for 75 + postage in Sheffield.

I'd be interested in a new one from you and would be more than happy to send you the old one for investigation.....

Cheers
Rob

Buy that for £75 as that seems very good value as many are sold for £130 +

Mine are new because I don't believe in fitting repaired ones because they are still old.

Customers still expect a years guarantee on a repaired unit. So they save over half the price of a new part and I have a much greater likelihood of being called out ( unpaid ) to replace them when they fail.

I also hear of many stories of those who use them finding many either don't work or are not exactly the right part!

Tony

Sponsored Links
OK Tony understood...

At least I know the relay on the pcb can stop the fan seeing 230v

The ignition sequence will kick in after the fan starts?

Thanks

I cannot contemplate what your boiler might do.

There might be other faults other than the PCB.

But I cannot give you any advice which might prompt you to do work which is inappropriate for a DIYer. We have to abide by forum rules!

All I can say is that a faulty fan relay will prevent the fan from operating.

Tony

APS hoses damaged! Some new 5mm hosing from B and Q has sorted the problem. Nothing wrong with the PCB

Very poor troubleshooting guide. It gives you the impression the APS is fine when the 2nd LED is illuminated......

Not impressed with the Heating Technician who couldn't spot this. Very poor for such a basic boiler and someone who is supposed to be competent in their job.

Hope this helps others...
Rob

having followed the trouble shooting , the diagnostic is replace circuit board. I can get refurbed for about £70 and new £130.

This might sound daft, as I have no reason to doubt the troubleshoot guide, but is this a common problem and the circuit board really solve it?

I have tested the fuse on the PCB and some of the resistors with nothing obvious problem. Anyone know any typical fault on the PCB - just out of interest?

When the fan runs, the auto ignite sequence should start?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/baxi-solo-50-4-pf-fan-not-working.379397/#ixzz2hXKiUz8T

Where did this heating Technician come in to it ? you diagnosed this yourself and you shouldnt be touching APS hoses by the way !

Also, it is just a "GUIDE" !!!!! For generally qualified gas safe engineers!!!! As they will use their expertise to diagnose the fault in conjunction with the GUIDE!. This is the problem with guides being available to the user cos they then start thinking its so easy to fault find on boilers cos it tells you in the book :evil:

I had the boiler serviced 2 weeks ago. They came out to take a look as a problem occurred so close to it being serviced by them. The Technician diagnosed a fault PCB - which I can understand from the troubleshoot guide. He wanted £200 to replace it the next day....

But and this is just my opinion, for such a relatively simple boiler and the schematic on the reverse of the boiler door, I believe any Technician worth their salt would do a visual inspection on the APS hoses when the fan wasn't coming on and given the LED status on the boiler front.

Yes the troubleshooting is a guide only - which just re-iterates my points above (in my opinion).

Is there really an issue changing the hosing on the APS myself? I have serviced parts (water side only) on my previous boilers and would never touch Gas components.

What would a registered Technician do different to the hose than me?

Also, it is just a "GUIDE" !!!!! For generally qualified gas safe engineers!!!! As they will use their expertise to diagnose the fault in conjunction with the GUIDE!. This is the problem with guides being available to the user cos they then start thinking its so easy to fault find on boilers cos it tells you in the book :evil:

For the record, I don't think it's easy to fault find, but if I left it to the company who serviced it, I would be over £200 worse off and still have no CH......

If anyone can recommend someone good to use for the future i'm all ears :)

You forgot to add all the information that you have now added in your last 2 posts and the reason that you cant do anything to the APS or its tubes is because it is a safety device to protect you and your family in the event of a fault within your boiler

Apologies ian - i didn't make it very clear.

I understand the importance of the APS, but to some degree I stand by my point that no one else would have taken the hoses off and the new ones on any different to me.

If you think I should have it inspected by someone, i'll arrange.
Thanks

For the record, I don't think it's easy to fault find, but if I left it to the company who serviced it, I would be over £200 worse off and still have no CH......

I have to disagree with that!

If a firm comes to diagnose a fault and WRONGLY diagnoses that the PCB is at fault then you should NOT have to pay for any part which does not fix the fault.

That only applies when THEY are called to diagnose the fault and THEY tell you something is needed!

Tony

If only that was the way it worked - we will never know if they would have charged if it didn't work.

They did diagnose the PCB fault (which made sense from the troubleshooting) and wanted £200 + . Glad I didn't get it done, as my gut feeling is that I would have had to pay for it whatever. If I knew that wasn't the case I would probably have let them do it, but it was my partner who was at home when the called.

Thanks for your help Tony, much appreciated

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back