Baxi Solo 50 /4 RS won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Baxi solo 50 /4 RS. Boiler would go out after a few minutes or a few seconds with a click. Got it to stay on for a couple of hours once but not again.

Called in the gas man who said it was ancient and we needed a new one which they could fit next Tuesday. Otherwise it would need a new gas valve. They could fit a new boiler inside 4 days but couldn't get the part for 10 days (!). So I got one for them in 48 hours. They fitted it and said it probably also needed the overheat thermostat. At least they only charged us cost for that.

Now 2 weeks later same problem happens again. After finding the baxi manual here https://www.dhsspares.co.uk/userfiles/Boiler_Manuals/BAX262.pdf I investigate further. Staring at the pilot light I can see it flickering, it is a windy day. Lighting the boiler I see the pilot light very unstable after the burner goes on full. Pilot light disappears - click - boiler goes out.

Moving the thermocouple connection I find the nut wiggles freely. If the Gas Safe man leaves it like that it can't need a gas tight connection (?!?). To cut a long story short I cleaned the pilot light injector and it now has a much stronger flame and the boiler is working again. So probably did not need the £250 work that was carried out.

Yes I will get it serviced/checked as quickly as possible (It is New Years Day). However my experience suggests that just being Gas Safe registered does not make an engineer competent or trustworthy.

Sponsored Links
Just put this here for information. There are other threads from people who had a similar baxi issue but there didn't seem to be any clear answers.

I.e. Check the pilot light carefully before replacing anything. Particularly if the apparently random problem happens when its windy from a particular direction.

And for a mini rant, of course.

Sponsored Links
However my experience suggests that just being Gas Safe registered does not make an engineer competent or trustworthy.

Thats very true. It's very unfortunate the way this industry is going. You obviously got a clueless one. But there are many good engineers out there, who would have diagnosed the problem within a few minutes. And fixed it within 30. Maybe ask friends, family or neighbours for a reccommendation next time.

However. That doesn't give you the right to start doing your own diy gas work. I take it you did all necessary tests for gas tightness after your work. And checked any seals you disturbed on your ROOM SEALED appliance?? I think not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back