Baxi up chimney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter had a look at a house that she is interested in buying today.
It has what looks like an old (maybe 25-30 years) gas fire mounted on the wall and the boiler is behind it, in the chimney.
What is the modern consensus of opinion regarding this set up? i.e. is it problematic to have it up the chimney, what, if any are the pitfalls and what are the benefits?

Sponsored Links
Most are extremely reliable as they have very few parts. However, spares for some may be getting difficult to find.

It saves space elsewhere in the house (eg the kitchen) by putting the boiler in what would otherwise be unused space.

Because they are not room sealed, the room will have ventilation airbricks which can be drafty.

They are generally very poor in terms of efficiency, much of the heat goes up the chimney and the air they use for combustion is from the room which you have already paid to heat.

When you do have to replace them with a condensing boiler, normally it means a wall mounted boiler elsewhere and a re-route of the pipes which can be quite disruptive.

They are quite noisy too, but most folks get used to that after a while.

Most are hooked up to antiquated heating and hot water systems which may have little or no thermostatic control (although this can be added)

I'm not a gas safe engineer and these are just notes from my personal experiences, I'm sure the gas gurus will have things to add (or contradict ;))

Most of what @stem has stated is true, Baxi back boilers are super reliable and any boiler you replace it with will never last as long as that has, downside the back boiler MUST be serviced every year and by someone who will do it properly, more important if you have pets

Stem is essentially correct.

If your daughter proceeds with the purchase, I would always advise that the boiler/fire I serviced and inspected BEFORE she uses it, either pre or post purchase. As an open flue appliance, they are potentially lethal when faulty, and unless you have a rock solid guarantee, with documentation, of a recent service, then tread carefully

Also, bear in mind that the fire cannot be replaced with a new one, but 2nd hand ones are often available, but they are all of the "outset/glass front" variety. (May seem obvious, but I had MANY people in my shop bitterly disappointed at the inability to upgrade the fire).

Sponsored Links
I take it that if she were to have it replaced by a modern wall mounted combi in the kitchen, it would be a big job and she would have to sell a kidney to pay for it?

Length of string comes to mind, as well as kidney quality.
I suppose between £1800 and £5000 would cover it

Would it be possible to fit a new combi boiler and keep the existing fire?
Thanks for the help so far.
I'm just trying to get an idea of what options are available.

Attachments

• S4300243.JPG
    S4300243.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 85
yes the Back boiler can be de-commissioned and the firefront left working

If she decides to purchase the property PM me and I will recommend a company that covers midlothian and they will do a good job for her at a fair price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back