Back boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought a new house and intend on doing it up top to bottom. Advise i need though is regards to the old back boiler. I have removed the back boiler leaving in the long tn flue that goes right the way up the chimney. What i need to know is do i need to remove this to install a modern gas fire (along with a smoke test) Or is this in due to the 1960s chimney not being tight enough to take the fumes without it?

Is it safe to remove and use the bricked chimney or should it stay but buy a attachment box?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any work you do regarding installing a fire and even the removal of a back boiler.(assuming it was gas) should be registered gas installer work. I doubt you'll get any advice on a public forum.

I have just bought a new house and intend on doing it up top to bottom. Advise i need though is regards to the old back boiler. I have removed the back boiler leaving in the long tn flue that goes right the way up the chimney. What i need to know is do i need to remove this to install a modern gas fire (along with a smoke test)
Is it safe to remove and use the bricked chimney or should it stay but buy a attachment box?

Regardless of yoiur choice of fire (assuming gas or solid fuel), or the condition of the flue, the liner HAS to come out. If any fitter (RGI) suggests otherwise, find another (and let us know, we like a laugh)

As the aged gasman suggests, it is againsat the forum rules to give DIT gas advice. In particular, gas fires are definitely NOT a DIY job, contrary to the views of a lot of folk.

Did you intend to DIY?

Thanks for the reply.

No i dont intend on DIY as i wouldnt mess about with it.

What i do intend though is keeping my cost to a low by doing a bit of labour work for example taking the flue out myself.

Also trying to work out materials cost. For example will i need a new flue or not, or will i be able to remove the old lining and just get a new gas fire installed. (with fumes escaping through with existing chimney)

thanks

Sponsored Links
The existing flue liner could be corroded, ie Pin holes it depends wether the chimney was swept prior to it being installed,

Some installer would change it for a new one, some will leave it has it is.
The liner was fitted because it was reqiuired for the boiler.

A modern fire will work better with a flue liner fitted but different fire outputs require different size liners, so its better to ask either the installer or the shop were you buy the fire from for advice.

will i need a new flue or not, or will i be able to remove the old lining and just get a new gas fire installed. (with fumes escaping through with existing chimney)

You will probably have no probs with a 60's chimney, but it is for the RGI to decide> While you are "up top", fit an approved gas bird guard, but best to speak to RGI FIRST.

COMPHEAT wrote:
The existing flue liner could be corroded, ie Pin holes it depends wether the chimney was swept prior to it being installed,
Irrelevant in this matter

Some installer would change it for a new one, some will leave it has it is. The liner was fitted because it was reqiuired for the boiler

Not if they work to regs.

Liner CANNOT be reused UNLESS you are confident it will last life of new appliance.

What i do intend though is keeping my cost to a low
In that case, just get a RGI in to cap the old gas pipe properly, and forget the whole idea of a fire.
They are extremely inefficient, especially compared with today's boilers, not in the least because the flue creates a 24/7/365 draft, not to mention the compulsory ventilation that a lot of fires need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back