Bay window cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please see below photo of my tired looking bay window.

I have seen some people in the area have replaced the tiles with UPVC cladding. I had a look on the forum and found someone who had done something similar but their bay was square.

My question really is can I just peel back the lead flashing and remove the tiles and attach UPVC to the wood frame? I know there is a wooden frame behind the tiles as I’ve had all the plaster off on the inside. There is also what looks like roof felt between the tiles and the wood, this has been snagged and is ripped in places. Is there anything more modern I could replace this with?

Any advice on what I should buy for cladding would be appreciated. Obviously I need it to bend round the bay. I’ve read about shiplap and hollow soffits but not sure exactly what I need!

Also! As you can see the wood above the top window and below the bay are not the best, if I rub down, seal and paint can I clad over the top to improve the look? Again any recommendations?

Many thanks in advanced.

Matt

Sponsored Links
it does look like a daunting job but if you are competent then it is not that bad really, peel back the lead like you say and remove hanging tiles these will be on horizontal timber lats which will need to come off if you are putting cladding on you need vertical timber to fix to i would take off the old felt behind too, fit some insulation whilst you have the oppurtunity and then fit breathable underfelt. i would use shiplap cladding it is a bit dearer but hollow soffit wont last as a cladding it will discolour and go brittle over time. make sure everything is sealed and refit flashings. as for the head of the window, again a pvc fascia board will bend round you will need a hand with this the only thing you will need to consider is something to finish underneath the bottom length of shiplap, i would use tongue and groove soffit here and cut it to the shape of the bay in 300mm sections
i would consider this a good days work but realistically allow yourself two. try and get tiles stripped, insulated, and refelted and your bay head sasnded down and treated then fit all the pvc the second day with clean hands ! good luck

Thanks Pinnacle69! I had seen people talking about eurocell, and found there was a branch near me. They also advised the shiplap which I ordered. A friend runs a scaffolding firm so is putting something up for me to do the work. Certainly sounds like good advice doing it over two day! Fingers crossed for some nice weather, :rolleyes: or dry at least!

Sponsored Links
that was the reply of a tosser the poster wanted to know how to fit upvc cladding that was their choice, they have seen it and liked it and just wanted advice on how to go about it. whether you like it or not is irrelevant, if you cant give constructive advice then keep your opinionated gob shut

You are confusing me with someone you think cares about your opinion. Freedom of speech, get used to it.

It will look crap and you'll make your house look like a student let......done on the cheap and maintenance free, landlords like that kinda thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back