Bay Window Dampness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had spots of mould in the corners of my bay window for some time now, don't think it's damp as when I laid a new wooden floor last year and removed skirting I could see the bare brickwork and it was dry as a bone. Seems to be worse in winter which suggests it may be condensation building up. Also the brickwork is single thickness. Just wondering whether to tackle this from the inside or the outside. Presumably I need to create some additional thickness by either having another course of bricks added to the outside or maybe add some stone cladding or would I be able to maybe batten out from the inside and use some plasterboard to create a gap between the wall and the plasterboard, is the latter feasible and if so would I need to use some sort of special backing on the plasterboard. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think i agree with the condensation theory. Tho not knowing more or seeing is hard to say. Could just be where a lil water is getting in to the frame, resulting to mould on the inside.

As for insulating inside or out side would just be down to choice. For quick and easy on the inside simply dot and dab insulated plasterboard. If walls are sound then theres no need for foil backed or any type of DPM.

Outside is a lil more tricky as you'd have to insulate your wall. Then EML and render.

Personally if i wasn't worried about losing a few inches inside i'd do it all from with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back