Insulating under a bay window - north facing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

This is my first post - I have been lurking for a while reading some very helpful threads.

I would be grateful of some advice on how to tackle insulating under a bay window in my bedroom.

Under the bay there's a stud wall (3x2) covered with lath and plaster but no insulation. The wall is north facing and due to how cold the wall is, mould has started to appear on the wall.

The outside has felt and then plastic cladding.

I've attached a picture of the wall:

View media item 26379
I was thinking of removing the lath and plaster, putting in some 75mm Celotex or similar then overboarding with some 25mm Celotex then plasterboard. Does this sound OK? Do I need a membrane of some sort?

Also, is it worth stripping off the plaster around the bay (the whole wall) to insulate the wall and plasterboard? If so, I want to make sure I don't loose too much space as the room is quite small already.

Thanks for reading!

Mikeinthemidlands

Sponsored Links
Your proposed work is OK. No need for a membrane. Make sure the insulation is a snug fit with no gaps

No need to insulate around the ay unless you are having condensation/mould problems due to a cold wall

Thanks for your advice Woody.

I will just insulate under the bay as although the surrounding wall is quite cold to the touch - I've not seen any condensation/mould.

Mikeinthemidlands

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back