Bay window help

Sponsored Links
Will do.

I know I've got to give them a chance to put it right but really I would rather get someone else in to sort it.

mOt,
Totally off page so I hope you dont mind but three cheers for your house architect - not for trying anything new but for putting together a number of previous styles, and making them work together in a straightforward (1920's?) suburban house.
Rainwater goods were always a bit of an after thought on similar houses, your's is no exception.
And if the RH side eaves had had a reasonable soffit projection the design would look more balanced.

Shame about the concrete tiles, hopefully they will eventually be changed back for plain tile?
Shame too that the neighbour's have built what looks like a shed dormer over the lower roof - totally out of character and spoiling the whole symmetry of the semi.

Good luck with your windows issues.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
I'm not a fan of that extension either, but there's quite a few of them around here like that.

The tiles aren't concrete, they are original terracotta. On the main roof they are le forest coutrai wine glass and the front bit are just standard rectangular tiles.

Sponsored Links
Update

Left a load of messages but didn't get a call back. Managed to get hold of the guy yesterday afternoon who was obviously 'just about to call'.

Didn't seem to believe me when I told him what had been done but is sending someone out tomorrow. I told him exactly what needed to be done and he agreed that was how it should be installed.

Also discovered that they measured a window short by 5cm because they got confused by the external cladding.:cautious:

No-one turned up today so I've been onto my home legal cover.

Drafting a letter to send, it doesn't feel like this will be an easy process.

Help!

They've been out this morning to inspect and told me that:
  • The downstairs bay is self supporting. I'm not sure what this means because I can't find anything online about self supporting bays.
  • The windows are steel reinforced and packed at the top to take any residual load.
  • The sill is reinforced and the corner post should sit on that, it doesn't need a bay pole jack. They are going to take this out and reinstall so it sits correctly on the sill but otherwise leave as is.
The above doesn't seem right to me but I'm not an expert.

I've checked with the profile manufacturer and they have confirmed the corner post installation shouldn't be sat on the cill and recommended the use of bay pole jacks.

Today's visit was a bit confrontational so I am not confident I'll get a resolution to this easily.

Help!

They've been out this morning to inspect and told me that:
  • The downstairs bay is self supporting. I'm not sure what this means because I can't find anything online about self supporting bays.
  • The windows are steel reinforced and packed at the top to take any residual load.
  • The sill is reinforced and the corner post should sit on that, it doesn't need a bay pole jack. They are going to take this out and reinstall so it sits correctly on the sill but otherwise leave as is.
The above doesn't seem right to me but I'm not an expert.

They've been out THIS MORNING to inspect and your typing this a 8.55am, what sort of inspection was that?

Google 'fensa guide for compliance' and refer to approved document A: Structure, have a read and check out the diagram showing a bay jacking pole passing through the cill and the other bay jack sitting ON the cill, note that it still uses a bay jack, it would appear from your photo that they have sat on the cill BUT HAVEN'T USED a bay jack, I would also question the suitability of the reinforcing within the cill, my understanding is that it doesn't go right into the corners but stops about 100mm short so the bay jack would potentially be sat on hollow plastic

I would also question what type of packers they've used at the top, my guess is they've used plastic glass/frame packers which will compress like this.......

20151103_122907.jpg
20151103_130922.jpg

• Thanks
They were here for all of 15 minutes. We walked round and I pointed out all the minor things that were wrong (scratches etc).

He had a brief look at the bay pole and told me he knew what he was doing and it wasn't a problem that it wasn't in contact with the cill but he'd take it out and move it for me.

We then got into an argument about a mismeasured window and he left.

I've taken a look at the fensa guide mentioned and whilst it says that in a low load environment you can rest on a reinforced cill (either using jacks or shims) you have to follow the manufacturers guidelines. Since duraflex told me that it should carry through to the cill they haven't done that.

As for the bay not being load bearing that is todal hog wash. There are floor joists resting above it (albeit only a metre long).

Steel reinforcing of the windows is pointless too as the reinforcing is not mitred into the corners so you are still relying on the welded pvc corner joint

• Thanks
An update to this - no proper contact with the company.

Originally they were supposed to visit Wednesday last week but then that got pushed back to Monday. I was expecting them to actually fix it Monday but as written above they turned up for a 15 minute inspection.

Monday afternoon I got told I would get a call on Tuesday. Tuesday evening I got told I would get a call Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday I received no contact and sent the letter advising them of the issues and giving them a time limit to rectify. Thursday evening I received a message saying they had tried to call and left a voicemail (total nonsense) and would call Friday.

Friday afternoon I got a message saying that they would call Monday to give themselves time to consider the issues raised in the letter.

Given the list of issues were things I had already reported to them and they hadn't disputed (although they had suggested fixes I didn't agree with) I don't understand why they need more time to consider anything. What were they planning to tell me on the phone today in response to these issues that they now need more time to consider?

I've been advised to contact my credit card provider first thing Monday and start proceedings under section 75 of the consumer credit act.

I feel your pain, I've heard all those excuses for missed visits to rectify faults from the office girls, service engineers wife rushed into labour, van broke down, filled van with wrong fuel, service engineers been double booked, parts came damaged etc etc, that's why I'll never work for a dg company again, I'm happy doing my insurance assessments and repair work

• Thanks
Update again:

They are coming to fix everything properly next week. I had the installation of the bay jack and spreader plate described in detail to me. They are still of the opinion that sitting it directly on the cill is good enough but are doing it this way because 'I've asked for it'. No one rips windows out and starts again out of the kindness of their hearts so they obviously realised that if this goes further they would lose.

So this should now be fixed.

They drilled through the cill (which didn't appear to be reinforced under the post) and ran a steel pole onto the brickwork and then through the post up onto the wooden head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back