Bay window roof (moved from forum information)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be grateful for some advice.
We have just had a new roof put onto the bay window at the front of the house.
We are not happy with the work, in particular we are not happy with the look of the work that has been done. I did get the owner of the roofing company to come and have a look at the work and he did not think there was a problem.
If possible from the picture I have attached I would be grateful for people's thoughts.
We are of the opinion that the cement is to thick, the underlay felt is to long and the lead flashing is to big.
DSC_0017.JPG

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It looks like the tiles don't meet at a neat hip, making the thick wad of cement necessary. Maybe this is a design quirk of the bay window, rather than the roofer's fault. Still looks unecessarily thick though. The flashing and felt are definitely balls. Is the flashing just glued to the wall or what?? How do other houses in the street do it? Do they have guttering?

Thanks for that. Many of the other houses do have guttering or fascia boards. The felt is hanging out the front of the tiles. The roofer suggested it needs to stick down like that to keep the water out. I can't help thinking it would be possible to trim it a bit. Obviously guttering would hide it.

Last edited:
Why dont you have guttering then? There's a RWP to the left.
Did you talk the job over before committing? Did you copy other bays in the street.
Was this originally a flat roof?
An untidy job - brick dust not cleared off, and as noted above other less than desirable aspects.

Sponsored Links
No was not a flat roof. Was previously slate tiled.
We had not planned on doing the bay roof but problem became apparent when they were putting on a new house roof. I won't bore you with that tale. I have to say the work they did on the house roof seems fine.
I agree that more conversation was clearly needed re bay roof. All happened in a bit of a rush in the end.

Well if they are happy with that standard of workmanship at eye level
then I can only imagine what they think is acceptable on the main roof.

It looks like the tiles don't meet at a neat hip, making the thick wad of cement necessary.
I think you're right there - OP, can we have a pic looking at the front of the bay roof and window above. The lead is a bit wide and I personally don't like the straight cut with a grinder BUT that's probably just me :whistle: Or am I being kind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back