Bay window wall coming away from main house wall

A recent repair method is to stabilise the ground by injecting polyurethane resin grout into it, which can even lift the wall back up and causes no disruption. But I don't know how effective this is in practice. I see quite a few adverts for it, with claims of insurers recommendation. But who knows
That'll be Uretek then. Seems to work - in the short term at least, but long term, who knows? They've just come out with another version with an expanding sock around it.

Used it once, where I was right royally ferked in trying to keep a house up over a solution feature to enable us to do the remedials. It worked, which was just as well, as there was no other way that it could be supported until we got the piles in....my a*se was doing halfcrown-sixpence for a few days with that one :).

Sponsored Links
Hi adm...I appreciate its been a few years since you posted this but experiencing exactly the same your daughter had now. What did you do in the end?

hi richplace, I too have the same problem, im also in Liverpool, did you get it sorted and if so how much did it cost?

We ended up just getting it tied into house either side of the bay using horizontal rods and glue. You could try Uretek they are based in skelm and it's a less invasive way of underpinning, no need for a builder. It's likely to cost a couple of grand though.

Sponsored Links
Stupid sort of question?, you don't have a hedge sucking all the ground water out ? Or conversely some rainwater problem, causing problems, blocked soakaway?, bay gutter water not being handled properly?
Its just that it is a 100 + year old building, what has changed?
Frank

Hi prince of darkenss,
No the problem is bigger than that though that could of been one of the original reasons but I wouldnt know as Ive only had house a few months.

Bay window isn't coming away from house even though thats what I said, pulled up floorboards upstairs and joists have dropped on one side of the houe, dont know if they have pushed window down or if foundations on bay window made the floor drop!

The droop goes all the way from ground floor window to bed room window and above.
Neighbours both side looks ok, drop happened many years ago because all work done since is positioned to where floors are now!

I had a Victorian house with a ground floor bay. The bay was OK but the brickwork above it was rough, original lead flashing cut off "flush" and a basic droop over the bay. When I stripped the paper in the upstairs bed room, a huge crack was visible in the plaster over the bay, basically an inverted V. When I removed all the loose plaster the whole section of brickwork over the internal lintel over the bay opening had dropped. I "fixed" it by deeply grooving the mortar joints and inserting staightened SS wall ties and re-pointing then replastering. Your query has just brought it to mind. I thought that the original wooden lintel had shrunk leaving the bricks without any support. Anyway I had a tour round the house recently, by the new owners and never thought about THAT problem until now. Seems that my bodge up has lasted for more then twenty years :)
Frank

That sounds exactly like the problem I have, I dont think the wood lintel has shrunk just dropped with the bay window. The joists havent rotted , but dropped inline with the bay, the partition wall has been removed but it does have the metal girder inside holding up everything. So it leaves me unsure on the cause of the problem! Was something heavy in bedroom, probably not,though you can feel the angle when walking through the room. Are the bay foundations shallow which makes everything above move in accordance, Do i jack up floor first but will that move the external wall above, I just dont know but really dont want to spend thousands correcting it, though I know it will cost me a quid or two!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back