Bay window wall crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are in the process of buying a new house and the home buyers report has highlighted cracking in the upstairs bay window wall at the front.... The surveyor said it was by no means uncommon for this to happen but it may need "tying back" he said it was because bay foundation were never built to the same standard as the main house foundations... The house is a 3 bed semi from the 1950s.... Just wondering if anyone could advise

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's unusual for a 1950's bay to pull away, but it all depends on how the bay and the elevation ( wall) it's tied to were built - then there are a whole bunch of variables that might be contributing factors. Research on here.
Typically, it's no big deal, if all else is OK, then buy the house with peace of mind.
Somewhere down the road it will cost you a few bob that might well be included in a larger "doing-up" of the property.

Perhaps, go ask a few neighbours about their bays.

Cheers dan,

It was causing me worry I must admit. Would I have to declare this as movement or anything like that on my buildings insuerance... How much do u estimate it will cost? Ball park figure? I've done some research on here and it doesn't seem uncommon

It's unusual for a 1950's bay to pull away

I think dann meant to say; It's extremely common for a 1950s bay to pull away. (In fact it's almost compulsory.)

Otherwise I agree with most of what he says. Those bays were often not well tied to the house and often had inadequate foundations. How much to put right is very difficult to say? Some ties and making good could be less £500. If the foundation needs pinning or rebuilding it might be £5k+. You will need somebody to properly inspect and report on it to know for sure.

But bear in mind that it is very common and actually not that many get properly repaired. Most people just do a bit of filling and making good and live with it. But be prepared for the fact that you will be facing the same questions from a future buyer. In view of that you might want to negotiate some money off - which will compensate you for when somebody negotiates money off you in the future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,
I've got someone coming round on Friday to advise then if needed I could get a report done... I wouldn't have to say anything to Insuerance companies when applying for buildings insuerance? Think I'd be content to just fill it up. I'm new to the house market so just getting used to what you can accept etc.
Thanks again

Hi Jackie,

I just saw your post and wondered if you'd reached any sort of conclusion on this? We have purchased a 50s house a little over a year ago and i've noticed the exact same thing on the join of our upstairs bay window...

Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

I got a couple of people who know what they are looking at, rather than builders and surveyors, and they all said the same thing.....
Unless you can get ur fingers through the crack, don't worry, also the wall which recessed around my bay, as in the photo, was made of plaster board, which then met the solid concrete/brick framework of the house.... And where drywall meets brick then a crack is likely after time, but nothing to worry about

If it's the same as a 1930s ie; a wooden frame which is rendered on the outside and lathe and plaster on the inside, I repaired a few now by removing the lathe and plaster, squeeze some rockwool or similar between the timber frame, then uing three inch screws affix marine grade 22mm ply or similar, screw to as many of the timbers as you can, this will hold the old timbers together hopefully, then on top of that screw your plasterboard to the ply, plenty of scrim and it should be good for a few years or more.

NB. This is the upper bay, the lower bay is normally brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back