Bay Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a bay window in my extension.

The bay is being built by the builder; the window is being supplied by the windows supplier. The corner post are attached to the windows.

I am not very clear on two the two parts will join. Is there a typical detailing?

Presume that the base of the window attaches to the cavity wall. At the top would it be typical to build a 'ring' beam? Is this then hidden with a sofit? [confused]

Thanks.

BayWindow2.JPG

Sponsored Links
It looks like a square bay...

Usually it will sit about 25mm back from face of brickwork.

Knowing if its upvc or timber would help give answers.

You will need to ask window company how to join corner posts.

A plate sits on top and the ceiling joists can be fixed to them.

The exact detailing wil, depend on the situation. Im sure your builder will know the typical construction.

Yes, a square bay. It is timber windows with integrated timber posts. Builder would have preferred to use his own posts - but they are integral to windows.

So will the builder create a 'C' shaped plate around the top, supported by temporary props, with short joists running between wall and this C-plate.

How is the plate typically covered -or- finished for aesthetic purposes? Fascia -or- painted?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, a square bay. It is timber windows with integrated timber posts. Builder would have preferred to use his own posts - but they are integral to windows.

So will the builder create a 'C' shaped plate around the top, supported by temporary props, with short joists running between wall and this C-plate.

How is the plate typically covered -or- finished for aesthetic purposes? Fascia -or- painted?

Thanks.

I expect the top of the window frame will be flush to underside of lintel in house opening.

Then a wall plate can be fitted to lintel and a plate on top of long side of window. Short joists can be fitted in between.

The plate on top of the window should be flush to outer face. Then a fascia can be fitted to come down over the window head a bit. On top of the fascia a cornice or gutter can be fitted.

There is more involved of course -insulation, firrings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back