Extending out through a bay window under an existing upstairs bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear experienced builders,

I have seen a 1930s property that I am considering putting an offer on.

I wish to extend out to create a large kitchen dining area at the rear.

This would involve extending out through a ground floor bay window and leaving the upstairs bay window (directly above as per typical 1930 style) in place.

Is it possible to prop up the upper bay using RSJs and extended out? Total width of room is ~14 feet, bay width about 9 feet wide, curve style.

(If anyone could provide example pics, that would be great.)

very many thanks in advance

Dave.

Sponsored Links
After a detailed on-site examination and measurements its a perfectly ordinary job of work. But i'm guessing given that i cant see whats there, and given that obvious difficulties could be easily shown on a pic.

Sponsored Links
Ree, thanks for taking the time to reply.I appreciate the lack of a detailed survey makes giving a 100% gaurantee a challenge. But in principle depending on the situation it should be possible.

Woody, thanks for taking the time to reply. A single beam sounds quite straight forward, as its a bay, I imagined it would near at least 2 beams, once running in line with the external wall supporting the inner part of the bay and upstairs floor, and them a beam supporting the outer arc of the bay, placed on pillars, but maybe I am over complicating?

I should have mentioned the reason why I was asking the Q in my initial post, was that, when I googleg for pictures of a fully supported upper bay with an open plan ground floor, I could not find nany examples, which I found odd.

If anyone has pictures, or examples of jobs they have completed, I would be grateful for sight of them please.

thankyou.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back