Planning a rear bay window...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came up with this genius idea to build a bay window at the back of my house, similar to what's at the front.
As can be seen from my MS paint editing skills, I wish to move the current rear 'kitchen', which is 2mx2m, into a breakfast nook type affair with bay window view to the rear, and the old dining room will become the kitchen.

Current:
202 Stewart Floor Plan_LI.jpg

Noting the brick **** house & coal shed behind is (presumably?) original, the bay would occupy most of this space, possibly 1sqm more or so. Now I know it qualifies as an extension because I'm increasing the footprint, so my concern is would I run into issues such as an excessive glazed area due to it being mostly windows (being a bay) except the 2 pillars between the windows and the low wall below? E.G. Would I likely need super thermally efficient rated glass etc?
Proposed:
202 Stewart Floor Plan KITCEN IN DINING ROOM RECONFIGURE IDEA 3.jpg

Note the dining chimney breast remains, and as will have the arch lintel raised for the cooker location, (unfortunately its 770 wide and I really wanted a 6-burner).. Actually on a related note I was thinking to have the gas serving the new cooker re-routed under the floor void while I'm replacing joists & boards, this will be an uninsulated & vented space (with 6 air bricks around the perimeter), my question is would the plumber run normal Cu gas pipe here with no problems complying?

20210320_042352662_iOS.jpg

And a lead on question to that also (.....), raising the chimney breast arch lintel height, if I fit a vent / air brick above the now sealed chimney flue to provide ventilation to the space, this would allow warm air from the ceiling area to escape out the house, I'm wondering what good practice is here, I suppose I could break into the flue & duct a vent to outside through the ceiling void, much the same way I plan to duct the cooker extractor? Seems a bit overkill but damp and ventilation are leading considerations in this place (1895 built).. YEs I will ca that chimney flue's pot. (All other chimneys will be operational, so the stack may get damp in bad weather so I don't think I can ignore it).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back