BBCode buttons and Firefox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just don't work, basically, and never have.

It's OK if you don't mind only using them as you type, knowing where you want to start and stop text attributes etc, because it resolutely puts them at the end of the post, so no selecting a block of text and applying an attribute to it. A particular PITA for quoting, image links etc.

I've tried all manner of add-ons, none of which were very useable, all clanky right-click context menu stuff.

But no more - this one actually works:

http://codefisher.org/format_toolbar/

You get a toolbar with buttons that will wrap BBCode tags around highlighted text. It's not perfect - doesn't do lists well, or URLs, and colour/font size selection needs tweaking (to be fair, I think it's customisable but I've not put the effort into trying that), but it's streets ahead of anything else I've tried, and genuinely very useful.

7cb0.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's just a list of BBCode tags. You can see the same list (the ones which are supported on this site) whenever you post - you can always add them by hand if you want.

Just don't work, basically, and never have. ... It's OK if you don't mind only using them as you type, knowing where you want to start and stop text attributes etc, because it resolutely puts them at the end of the post, so no selecting a block of text and applying an attribute to it. A particular PITA for quoting, image links etc.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've recently started using Chrome a bit, and it behaves exactly as BAS describes above for Firefox - a complete pain, which means that I'm back to using IE for DIYnot.

Kind Regard, John

Sponsored Links
IHANI - I will not use Chrome because it does not provide me with sufficient controls over cookies.

You could ask the developers of Codefisher.

I won't suggest asking the developers of Chrome - Google have made an art form of not listening to anybody, of not providing proper help, of not responding to complaints, of not providing contact details. "Do no evil"? They are disgusting in their arrogance.

Back