BBQ/Chiminea repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've bought a chiminea which has a small amount of damage, an opened crack along one of the seams, about 2.5" long and 4mm wide...

Ideally I'd have someone weld the seam, but I don't know anybody who could perform the job, and I don't really have time (it's a gift)

Is there another way I can patch it? I was looking at epoxy putty but that only resists heat up to 130 degrees. Colour doesn't matter too much as I can cover up with black stove paint afterwards.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a difficult one as it'll be made from cast iron so it would need bronze welding or brazing really.
If the crack isn't important, couldn't you just fill it with fireclay cement and then paint over?
John :)

Hi mate.

Yeah, that's what I did in the end. Got some black fire cement, filled the crack, then after while cleaning up I noticed it was water based, so I thinned a little down and used it to touch up any scratches.

We'll see how it holds when we fire it up at the weekend.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back