BBU removed, can fire still be used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

My parents had their Baxi Bermuda back boiler replaced with a combi last year and the fire was capped off but left in place since they didn't want a big hole left if it were removed.

The fire was used perhaps only half a dozen times in the 25 years it's been there, but given the unreliability of their combi, I'd like them to have a backup heating source.

Can the old fire be recommissioned or do they need a new one?

Thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Yes, if the Flue assembly at the rear is in good condition, either way you MUST get a registered engineer to recommission and issue you with certificate of safety. If the boiler has been removed then its a no no

If the boiler was removed you can not use the fire, the flue of the fire and the boiler is specially designed to be connect to both appliances.

Okidoke, Thanks for the quick replies.

The boiler's already gone so I think the fire will soon follow. On the plus side, I know what the olds are having for Christmas now!

Nick

Sponsored Links

The boiler's already gone so I think the fire will soon follow

Do you KNOW the boiler has gone. Most of the time, the plumber will leave the boiler in place as well as the fire. Have a peek underneath. Having said that, the cost of recomissioning (spell?) may be better spent towards a new fire.

If the boiler is still there then the Copex lining will still be connected and fire will be fine , make sure the BBU has been disconnected though

If the boiler is still there then the Copex lining will still be connected and fire will be fine , make sure the BBU has been disconnected though

The lining ( if fitted ) may be there but will need testing by the RGI to see if its still working safely.

A common fault with installed BBUs was that the space round the lining was not sealed just above the boiler. Many have been left working like that.

I would not want to recommission a fire without that error being corrected.

Tony

As an aside, what's up with the combi? What make/model is it? If it's new it should be reliable :confused:

Any competent Gas engineer re commosioning your fire will carry out the neccesary checks dont be put off

Thanks all, I thought this issue was done and dusted but...

FiremanT: I've now had chance to go and look at it myself - yes the boiler has definitely been removed, however I tried the fire and it is still connected.

Muggles: The new boiler is a Worcester Neta-Tec. It keeps losing pressure. The installer came back maybe 4 times when it was first installed - he eventually identified a leak at the boiler itself and tightened it up. It got much better after that, but I'm still having to repressurise it once every 6-8 weeks or so. I got a different guy to do the 1st service and told him of the problem - he checked the boiler but could find no leaks. He said there may be a tiny drip from a joint somewhere in the system, but detecting it would be incredibly hard given how slow it would be leaking. There are no visible signs of water leaking anywhere (discoloured ceilings etc).

Thanks,

Nick

Hi there, are you referring to the hot water cylinder as the 'boiler'? It would be very surprising if the installer removed the bbu and then refitted the fire on its own. As suggested, get a registered installer in and he can carry out all the required checks.

Hi Boabcelt,

The hot water cylinder has definitely been removed - big space in the airing cupboard. I think also that the whole back boiler has gone - for sure, the controls that were previously underneath the fire are no longer there, though it's hard to see right behind the fire.

Mother said that the entire back boiler was removed. Mind you, she also said that the fire had been capped off, so that doesn't mean too much :p

Nick

Next time you get an Engineer to look at your Mums BAXI Neta Tec, ask him to check out the Fire. If the Boiler has been removed then the Fire MUST be capped off and not be used. I would advise you get this sorted ASAP.

Next time you get an Engineer to look at your Mums BAXI Neta Tec, ask him to check out the Fire. If the Boiler has been removed then the Fire MUST be capped off and not be used. I would advise you get this sorted ASAP.

Good advice. Can you post a photo showing the fire and one underneath?

Decommisioned properly the controls will have been removed and the 3 way valve capped to them .
when you look under fire you will probably find its still sitting on a metal box(boiler casing) as this is what supports the fire as well as a wall bracket.
If the box is still there then the fire should be simple job .

Might be a really stupid question but have you actually tried the fire to se if it works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back