BCO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if BCO need to be involved in replacing a wooden joist with an RSJ (se has done calcs)??

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
ok the timber has been there for 25 years but by my calcs is not strong enough. so i want a proper safe job. thats all.

Technically, as it's structural work (I presume that you mean replacing a beam or a lintel, rather than joist), you should. Technically... ;)

Sponsored Links
Moot point, as it's replacing something in a different medium, rather than repairing it, technically it's a bit more than maintenance and repair.

Moot point, as it's replacing something in a different medium, rather than repairing it, technically it's a bit more than maintenance and repair.
I tend to agree; as you’re not replacing like with like, it's probably notifyable. You could always ring them & ask before you do it.

This would hinge on whether it is a "material alteration".

The mere replacement of this joist, with another joist (albeit a steel one) is not a material alteration. If you decided to change an 8" floor joist for a 6" one, then that too does not require b/regs approval

The addition or subtraction of a structural member to alter the transfer of loadings would require an application but the replacement would not.

Its the work content that dictates if an application is required, and not whether its like-for-like or not. So its not really a case of if the OP replaces it in timber its OK, but if in steel it requires an application.

i rang bc and got a stressed sounding officer who said i didn't need to inform them. the conversation was very brief and although i was careful to be accurate in what i said i am not sure he took it all in. where does this leave me legally. could they come back to me in a years time and demand an inspection?

The only two ways that you will get a BCO in your house is

1. As part of formal inspections after an application is made

2. If he is your friend and comes around for a BBQ and a few beers

If your SE has calculated this beam, then shove it in and don't worry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back