architects and building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a planning application in for a very straightforward conversion of a single story farm building into B&B accommodation. At the request of the planning officer, my BCO has visited and given the project his blessing. He wanted a structural engineer to comment on a retaining wall and the roof design. I have a SE doing these calcs at the moment. The architect has just written to say that he has arranged a meeting with the BCO at his (the architects) studio to discuss building regs requirements.
1. Is this normal?
2. Shouldn't the architect know what building regs are required?
3. BCO has told me what he wants. SE has told me what he will stipulate.
I haven't even got the permission yet. Isn't this wasting time?

Sponsored Links
I have a planning application in for a very straightforward conversion of a single story farm building into B&B accommodation. At the request of the planning officer, my BCO has visited and given the project his blessing. He wanted a structural engineer to comment on a retaining wall and the roof design. I have a SE doing these calcs at the moment. The architect has just written to say that he has arranged a meeting with the BCO at his (the architects) studio to discuss building regs requirements.
1. Is this normal?
I would say yes in your case & he is probably doing it to keep up good relations.

2. Shouldn't the architect know what building regs are required?
He probably does but is doing it to keep up good relations
3. BCO has told me what he wants. SE has told me what he will stipulate.
I haven't even got the permission yet. Isn't this wasting time?
Who knows, the planning committee can be a law unto themselves & a blessing from your local Planning Officer or BCO, even in writing, will not guarantee you won’t have to make changes to get PP or indeed get it at all; which from personal experience I know only to well :mad:

Why do you disapprove of your Architect’s approach :?:

I'm concerned with his aproach because the first application had to be withdrawn because he applied to demolish. That is a total no no in this area.

The agreement was that we wanted plans and permission. He seems to be trying to project manage.

I'm concerned with his aproach because the first application had to be withdrawn because he applied to demolish. That is a total no no in this area.
That’s undoubtedly got the sharp attention of your local planning/BCO & probably got them rattled; sounds as if he’s trying to smooth things over & re-assure them!

The agreement was that we wanted plans and permission. He seems to be trying to project manage.
I'm a Project Manager & I wouldn’t say what he’s doing quiet amounts to that but speak to him & make sure he fully understands your requirements. Having an Architect on side during planning can give you an advantage over a DIY submission with difficult applications, especially if your application goes to full committee which it undoubtedly will if you have one single objection; because of what your proposing, it may even go there anyway. Why don't you insist on attending his meeting with BCO, you will then get a better feel for how things are likely to go but nothing is guaranteed.

Sponsored Links
Have you submitted a b/regs application, as if not, this is odd, because AFAIK, the BCO is not able to legally comment on any work not subject to an application. The BCO risks a whole load of liability if his comments are a basis for any decision made

B/regs are pretty straightforward and the designer should know what will and won't conform.

Even an extravagent design can be sorted out by phone, on site or by sending the plans to the BCO for checking. In fact, its not for the BCO to tell you what he wants - if a design conforms to the b/regs and is proven to conform, then it must be accepted.

I fear that the purpose of the meeting is to clock up some time and expense for the designer

If they have arranged a meeting, ensure that you too are there so that you can know whats been discussed etc, after all its you paying for it. :D

I think Woody has hit the nail on the head.

The application is totally straight forward except that he said "demolish" Now it seems that I am paying him to cover up his own cock up.

It was the planner who insisted on a reprt from the BCO because the architect AGREED with her when she said that in her opinion the building neede flattening. The walls are sound blockwork with damp course and the BCO suggested dry-lining etc and the SE agreed. Surprise surprise the architect thinks thats a great idea! Pity he didn't come up with it in the first place. :mad:

PS: Its the question of paying for all these meetings and letters that is concerning me as much as anything. The BCO is not council by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back