Self-Build Conservatories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to take down an existing cons, and replace with a bigger one.

I have these questions:

1. Is it likely to need building regs approval? (I'll speak to the BCO when I can actually reach him when in the office)

2. An architect has said it ought to have a steel frame, between which the units are fitted, due to the wind here in North Wales. I can't find any reference to that online.....is he talking nonsense?

3. I'm happy to build the base and would be happy to put together a cons. kit....has anyone got experience of buying, erecting and living with a self-build kit? If so, do you regret it?!?

Sponsored Links
1 you don't need reg
2 you can get conservatories with steel in the frames.
3 they are not difficult to put up as long as you have a couple of people to help. Though I think conservatories are a waste of space too hot or too cold but maybe they work well in Wales.

Building regs:
Not if below 30 sq metres
At least 1 metre from boundary (or fire regs comes into play).
Must be thermaly separate. TVRs count

Wales may differ.

Steel frame is for lateral restraint from wind load. Side to side is the issue, front to back is not a problem as connie is braced against house.

Check for any public drains.

Party wall may come into play if within 3 metres.

It would have an insulated "proper" roof, so regs would apply, it seems. Still a DIY job if I don't need steel frames etc first.

Sponsored Links
Building regs:

Steel frame is for lateral restraint from wind load. Side to side is the issue, front to back is not a problem as connie is braced against house.

...nor if attached to two walls that meet, presumably?

It would have an insulated "proper" roof, so regs would apply, it seems. Still a DIY job if I don't need steel frames etc first.

Thsts s bit of a grey area. Lots of these companies doing consrrvatory conversions to tiled roofs or indeed new build jobs are claiming they dont need building regs or that they would comply.

I think you might struggle with getting a self build cons compliant to building regs. They will want structural calcs....can your supplier provide them?

If you are doing a tiled roof, could you just buy upvc windows and stick on a pitched timber roof?

If you are building into an internal corner, then lateral stability shouldnt be an issue, provided the host walls act as a buttress.

Conservatories are b/regs exempt as long as you keep a separating door (external grade) to the main building and have independant heating controls. Glazed roof no longer a requirement.

Conservatories are just frames fixed together and braced by the roof. You dont need a steel frame. You may need reinforced corner posts to carry roof load, and you will need a top plate to stiffen the frame and these will typically be aluminium not steel. But all this comes down to the actual system you purchase and its design. But all this is done for you.

Every conservatory is a kit. Probably not like Airfix or an Ikea wardrobe, but a kit non-the-less. Not difficult.

Thanks for the guidance. I spoke to the BCO who made the point about an insulated roof meaning regs approval needed. The original plan was to attach to two existing walls, but now we'd like it to just one, hence my worry abut wind load. I'll look in more details at the kits.

See DCLG circular letter ‘Conservatories and Porches’ issued on 30 July 2013.

Next question:

As we are replacing an older, smaller connie, is there any issue adding the new floor screed up to the edge of the old one? Should I be reinforcing that join in any way? Or should I be ripping out the old one and pouring a full-sized new screed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back