be gentle!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - new on here - but I have similar problem and have been pushed around from pillar to post for 6 months now. I am far from an expert on these things so please be gentle!

Current situation:

5 bedroom detached Victorian house, 100m from main road.
Looking to replace boiler and also install megaflow type system.

Currently have an old Ideal Concord CX boiler installed - 70KWh output / 79-87KWh input
2zh1d11.jpg

also, separate swimming pool boiler (approx 40KWh I think)

I have been told that the gas pressure to the house is not sufficient. When I speak to British Gas they tell me to speak to SGN, and vice versa. Neither of them can agree if this should be a commercial or residential set up, and SGN now asking me for gas loads to quote me for digging up and installing a whole new pipe (100 metres long).

I share the view of the original poster, that it is the responsibility of the gas provider to provide sufficient supply, and that I should not pay.

Also, with modern boilers I assume the flow required would be lower than the old 70KWh boiler.

So, questions:

1. I have a Sperryn Type 2 G910 Governor fitted to the meter - can this be adjusted to increase the flow?
3525gco.jpg

2. How do I escape the never ending cycle of being told as the boiler is so large, a residential boiler cannot be fitted, and then being passed around between BG and SGN?

3. Can a GasSafe engineer on a residential ticket change the system if the current KWh level is at 70, even if the required KWh level with a modern and more efficient boiler is less?

Thanks
Charlie

Sponsored Links
I think it has more to do with upgrading the gas load from the mains, you can have a multiple domestic boiler set up, however it would probably fall into the realms of industrial due to gas pipe sizing and volume. Combined you are still looking at possibly 130kw, if you add gas fires, cookers etc

If the original house was previously on a std domestic meter, and then the swimming pool boiler was added, then in my opinion I can't possibly see why you shouldn't be charged for the upgrade.

agreed on the addition of the pool, the problem I have had is getting a straight answer regarding the current supply capabilities (even just for the house) from either BG or SGN.

The potential cost of the new supply is not my main headache (although it scares the hell out of me!), it is simply getting something happening after 6 months of trying!

Sponsored Links
A domestic ticket will alow us to work on appliances upto 70kw, I think the issue will be the volume of gas within the gas carcass and meter, which will take it into commercial realms.

An experienced fitter will be able to advise you on that. As well as proper heat loss calculations and system design. You will then I guess be able to supply NG with the revised figures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back