Gas pipe width to supply both boiler and gas cooker

Are your boiler and cooker going to be going full
pelt at the same time for long.

No. It will work.

????????? there was me thinking that we had to size pipework just in case they did , must have been wasting my time and my customers money all these years glad you set me right I have loads of microbore in my garage with the price of copper these days will save me a fortune

Sponsored Links

No. It will work.

????????? there was me thinking that we had to size pipework just in case they did , must have been wasting my time and my customers money all these years glad you set me right I have loads of microbore in my garage with the price of copper these days will save me a fortune

Yep. Been wasting your time. But making a nice bit of cash out of it. :D
Just been to a similar place. But running on 15mm!! Been like it
for years and it's been working quite happily.

If both your boiler and cooker were going full pelt
you could do it on about 9 metres of 22mm gas pipe.

No. It will work.

To improve things you can replace the first part of the run with 28mm
gas pipe. It doesn't have to be the whole length.

Typical UK. Paranoia overdrive.

:eek: eh how long would it take for someone to run a tap to starve a cooker with only one or two rings on causing it to go out, then when the tap was shut you get unburnt gas filling up the kitchen, sorry if that is typical UK paranoia then i'm paranoid

Sponsored Links

No. It will work.

Yep. Been wasting your time. But making a nice bit of cash out of it. :D
Just been to a similar place. But running on 15mm!! Been like it
for years and it's been working quite happily.

you can be lucky 100's of times and unlucky once, seriously your advice is so wrong its scary

sorry dcawkell but I will NEVER agree with your advice you do not have a clue what you are talking about, please anyone reading this post take advice from a suitably qualified RGI and dont listen to this chap (for want of a better description )

No. It will work.

:eek: eh how long would it take for someone to run a tap to starve a cooker with only one or two rings on causing it to go out, then when the tap was shut you get unburnt gas filling up the kitchen, sorry if that is typical UK paranoia then i'm paranoid

Whilst not disagreeing on the pipe sizing issue.

May I suggest you read the regs on gas in flats and the spec for this cooker before making statements like this.

No. It will work.

Whilst not disagreeing on the pipe sizing issue.

May I suggest you read the regs on gas in flats and the spec for this cooker before making statements like this.

you make a very valid point, but its fundamentally flawed in that your statement is based on work being done to the Regs, and i can assure you there are many amongst us who for their own reasons dont comply with the regs, (i assume you are talking about TB 015?) i have seen many cookers fitted in flats without FSD's and by fitting/altering/working on anything else in the flat after it was fitted its my responsibilty to act accordingly or taake the heat off the incompetant who fitted it by getting the blame as last man in, and in this case the OP has said he doesnt have the cooker yet, but it doesnt say he is buying a new cooker, and if you read TB 015 it says that second hand cookers are excluded from the requirement,
i made the point as i felt the advice to carry on with a potentially undersized pipe was very un professional and potentially dangerous and i stand by that

and in this case the OP has said he doesnt have the cooker yet, but it doesnt say he is buying a new cooker
Where did he say that ?
Are you the only person that's read TB015 I wonder ?

In opening post.
A GasSafe registered engineer came round to install a new gas cooker for me.
Qualified later by.
The cooker is the Beko 50cm gas cooker (both hob and oven are gas, not dual fuel).
From memory approx 15kW with everything on full tilt.

Thank you very much for all the replies.

I've done some research and in terms of how much gas it consumes, it says:

4 Gas Burners : F/Left 2kw, F/Right 2.9kW, R/Left 2kW, R/Right 1kW
which = 7.9kw for the hob, plus I don't know how much for the oven / grill.

I've read all your thoughts and I think I'll stick with the original engineer's quote, i.e. that it will require the piping to be replaced with 28mm, as there is substantial uncertainty as to whether enough gas will be able to flow when both are on full pelt (as there is quite a lot of piping, I think at least 20m and probably up to 25-30m, from the metre to the boiler / cooker). I would rather err on the side of caution with gas!

Looks like it'll be a new electric cooker for me - d'oh!

Thanks again for all your help, very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back