Gas supply to cooker

19 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I've just had a 39kW Vaillant combi installed and a very good job it does too.

I want to install a range cooker in my kitchen, but am not sure if I will have enough gas pressure when the boiler is doing its thing. The boiler supply is run in 28mm copper direct from the meter. The supply to the kitchen is in half inch barrel pipe with a couple of 90 degree elbows over a 5meter run.

The incoming gas pipe is inch and a quarter.

Could I run a 20kW rated gas cooker off the existing pipework?

Thanks for guidance.
Sponsored Links
the boiler has its own supply in 28mm seperate to the barrel pipe?
where is the connection between the 2 is it at the meter or along the pipe some distance from the meter?
are both pipes actually connected to the meter?
When you say 11/4" is that steel, and is it incoming to the meter or from an outside meter.

What size is the meter.

Are we talking commercial.
Hello, this is a domestic set up.

Incoming gas main is one and a quarter inch barrel pipe, and the 28mm copper take off to the boiler is as soon as possible after the meter.

Sponsored Links
So the pipe splits 28mm one way, what size is the other way I assume for the cooker.

How far is "As soon as possible" and what size pipe up to the split.
Pipe splits at (internal) meter just after bendy metal hose from regulator. 28mm copper goes off to boiler in loft, and 1 inch barrel pipe goes off towards kitchen. Somewhere en route, this reduces to three quarter inch barrel pipe.

Seem to have enough pressure for existing four burner gas hob, but wondering whether I will have enough juice for a serious range cooker (15.5 to 20 kW gas rating).

Thanks for your help.
3/4" barrel will be stacks for a range, assuming it ain't miles away.

What you have answered it the size of the meter, which could be to small.
The Vaillant will be looking for 4 m3/hr when on for HW and a 20Kw range will probably be looking for about 2m3/hr, all burners on.

Domestic meter is for 6m3/hr, but in reality propbably only about 5.5m3/hr.

Personally I think you are pushing it with a domestic meter.
i have to disagree imho a domestic meter should be fine if its u6
I think it's going to be very close with a U6, which is why I asked.
Meter is a Schlumberger and it says R5 on it.

Also says 212 ft3 per hour.

Thanks for your help.
Even though a meter is "rated" at 6 m² per hour, it does not just stop passing gas if this figure is exceeded!

Often the most serious problem would be that the pressure loss across it would be a little higher.

In reality the cooker will never have all the burners on at full at the same time anyway!

Similarly the boiler is only using maximum power when delivering hot water. On central heating its down to about 1 m²/hour most of the time.

The range in the kitchen here has seven gas burners and I rarely see more than four in use at once and even then most of them are on minimum. ( I should add that I am not normally allowed in the kitchen when cooking is being done, that suites me well! ).

The ovens here are electric.

Since when do we rate gas meters and pipe sizes for anything other than the maximum flow of gas that could be asked for :rolleyes:
Since when do we rate gas meters and pipe sizes for anything other than the maximum flow of gas that could be asked for :rolleyes:

No-one has, have they ?

I was pointing out that with a great big boiler and an equally big range cooker, that even if you include some diversity, the meter may be too small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links