gas supply size for "range cooker"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi chaps, having new kitchen installed with one of them range cookers. The burners are gas (6 of them) and the ovens are electric.

Can the cooker be connected upto the 15mm outlet already there? Or do i need to get a plummer in to run a larger pipe?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your RGI will be able to calculate the pipe size for you, but from what you say it is likely that the 15mm supply will be adequate (subject to survey) ;)

whats a rgi?

I figured i could just connect it to the valve (self sealing type) already on the wall?

Or are you not allowed to disconnect and reconnect the self sealing valve thing unless your gas safe registered?

the point is the appliance you will be connecting is new and has never been tested, for all you know the gas pipe might not be in the right place and certain tests have to be carried out before an appliance can be considered safe to use, you would possibly not even know how to correctly connect the hose to the appliance, for what it costs get a registered installer

Sponsored Links
the point is the appliance you will be connecting is new and has never been tested, for all you know the gas pipe might not be in the right place and certain tests have to be carried out before an appliance can be considered safe to use, you would possibly not even know how to correctly connect the hose to the appliance, for what it costs get a registered installer

I presumed it came with the hose connected? take it not. The cooker has not arrived yet so i dont know.

I presumed it pluged back in like the one we took out?

I will give the plummer a ring tuesday and see when he is avalible to install.

So i take it that the new cooker needs to be tested etc? and the hose will need to be connected also? And can you confirm if in the future i was to remove the cooker for cleaning etc, would i need a plumer to disconnect or are the general public allowed to disconect from the quick realise plug on the wall?

O and when currys etc install the cookers do they do a gas test? I think they wanted £40 quid or something, that sounds cheap?

they are designed for easily disconnecting the appliance for cleaning purposes, now the problem comes when the self sealing bayonet fails to seal! not a problem until you disconnect it! I would expect a full tightness test to be performed to check the integrity off the new appliance and pipe work, new appliances don't come with the hoses connected. Hope that helps!

o.k, thanks mate.

I will give the plummer a call tuesday. I was hoping to get the rest of the kitchen fitted tomorrow but i dont want to do that if the floor needs to come up to install a larger gas pipe.

Pain in the arse, but better to be safe than sorry!

Bengali gets you further in Brum!

Pity Cheddars Lane was closed down by their picketing though.

Just to clarify, cookers do NOT come with a gas hose.

Fitting a gas hose needs a gas engineer.

Any new appliance needs to be connected for the first time and tested for leaks and each part has to be tested for correct operation and the location assessed as suitable. ( Commissioning )

After that the customer can disconnect and then reconnect at the bayonet for cleaning.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back