Bead and render instead of a flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours have had the roof stripped and new felt, batons and tiles laid etc.

Our properties step so that my roof is 4/5 courses higher than theirs. There is also a chimney in the centre shared by both.

I recently plastered the attic room and noticed damp around the chimney. I replaced the flashings around my chimney so I’m confident this isn’t the cause. I then went back on the roof to inspect the party wall some more and I could see a few things –

Firstly, the roofers have laid a detail that consists of stepped soakers with a beadcast siliconed on at the top of the soakers, and then render patched in above. No flashings.

This detail looks terrible and as a surveyor I haven’t seen it anywhere and can’t believe it would be accepted anywhere. I certainly cant see any render manufacturer recommending it.

I can only think that by covering it with render from ground level it hides that there are no flashings so that they will be long gone when any issues arise?

In terms of the chimney damp, the detail is confusing and it is hard to see exactly what might be causing the leak without stripping it off. I have annotated it and welcome comment.

Any comments appreciated, even if only to confirm the poor details. I will speak to the neighbours but dont want them to think I am being picky - so ill share your comments.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20211021_143813.jpg
    20211021_143813.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Yep. Image what it will be like in a few years after some frost and thaw on that patched render :eek:

Nice. Soakers require a proper cover flashing. Calder's guide to leadwork might be a useful reference to point at.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back