Flashing on sloped roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - are there any cases where lead flashing is not needed? My roofer has just replaced the lead flashing that was in place as it was too long (approx 3m strips) and too wide and had cracked. I've been told that step flashing was not an option as the abutment wall was already rendered so no exposed brickwork to attach to without removing the existing render. Roofer informs me that he has therefore checked and aligned all the soakers then applied bonding agent and two coats of render. My concern is that when I look at all the surrounding roofs all appear to have lead flashing in place.
Question is whether this is approach will suffice or do I need lead flashing added. attached photos show the fresh render

Sponsored Links
A mortar fillet can be and has been used as weathering protection to roof/wall abutments. However, this method is unreliable because it is not flexible. Roofs flex and are prone to moving up and down i.e. bouncing in the wind. Older (weaker) roofs are more vulnerable.

The likelihood of failure is quite high. It may result in the render cracking or it may just pull on the soakers. The worst case is that prolonged flexing may cause the soakers to split.

A cover flashing, which is fixed to the wall and is independent of the soakers beneath, allow the roof to flex and the soakers to move without any problems.

Do you actually have soakers at that parapet?

Its a simple job for a roofer to cut in (9" angle grinder) diagonal 1.5m lengths of cover flashing - or stepped flashing, which takes a little longer to fix.

The S&C fillet is already cracking away (probably shrinkage) in pic 1.

FWIW: The ridge detailing should be a cause for concern - esp. the lack of ridge tiles and the loose felt and lead.

If your roofer was a professional roofer he would not have installed a fillet, thats slovenly work - fillets are nowadays only used in very particular situations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back