Step flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to sort the step flashing out for my new pitch roof front door canopy.

Got the lead soakers in place, and have a long piece of old lead flashing that I took down from the previous lean to canopy. Its not enough to do both sides (about 42" each side) but .......

A roofer that was working on next doors house yesterday told me I can maximise the amount of step flashings i get out of the strip by cutting them one at a time. This way I may have enough to do both sides.
All youtube vids i've seen cut them out of lengths of lead about a meter long.

Is it common practice for roofers to cut the steps in individual pieces for a small canopy roof in order to save lead wastage and is it ok to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Step flashing are in one piece maximum 1.2m to allow for expansion.

Was that a real roofer? Cut individually would increase use due to the increased number of laps.

That's what I thought. He had a small off cut of lead he wanted to sell me and told me, with what I had and his piece I could get all my soakers and steps out of it.

Declined his kind offer and told him I'd buy a roll lol.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back