Beading, Gasket disassembly/assembly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So in my continued journey of window replacement - I am trying to remove glass for fitting the frames, and then reassembling once that's done. Most of the guides I can find refer to uPVC, and my ones seem to have different challenges.

These are glazed from the inside. The panes have horizontal bars, which seem to be stuck-on on the inside (to the extent that they don't seem designed to be removed, unlike the clipped ones on the outside which do).

There is aluminium beading and a rubber gasket below that. The gasket has been cut (slotted) where the horizontal bars meet the beading. I can just about coax the gasket out from beneath a corner and pull it out - but I can't take it all the way because it stops 1/3rd down the window at the 1st bar.

I can't figure out the 'correct' procedure (both for removal and re-installation). I just about managed to brute-force some smaller panes with only 1 bar (so I could remove the gasket from each end), but the bigger ones are proving really resistant..

Sponsored Links
If I had it right in front of me I could probably work it out in minutes but trying to work it out and explain it from that photo could take for ever.
Where did you get the windows from? The supplier would be the best one to ask.
Failing that take one into a local glazing/double glazing place and ask them to show you

They're these: http://www.duration.co.uk/Royale-Putty-line-Steel-Replacement-Windows-Technical.asp#tabs

I may try and give them a call as it's really puzzling me.

It feels like the inside horizontal bar needs to be removed (I can disassemble/reassemble OK then - gasket peels out then the beading pops down) - but it doesn't feel like it's designed to be removed - it's stuck to the pane on what looks like a single rubber strip that tears when I peel it up.

There's not the right detail on that photo, can you post a wider shot? I had good luck recently using a set of new razor blades to tap in the very tight crack between the frame and the beading strip. Tap in a blade. Tap in another blade with an inch gap. Tap in another blade with another inch gap. Fill in the gaps with another blade and eventually the bead pops out with zero damage to the frame, bead or glass.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I should say knife blades, not razor blades:

59562.jpg

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back