Beading on window reveals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to re-skim a small bedroom. Should I automatically use beading on the window reveals for a good clean finish, or only use beading if the reveal edges are in a bad state? OR maybe if I decide not to actually skim the 'reveals' then just skim up to the edges?

Sponsored Links
I think it's neater using beads on the reveals/soffits,, easier too. You can skim up to the edge of the reveals/soffits, without beads, then feather away at the edges,, but most spreads would use corner beads, and plaster the soffits/reveals.

i would always fit new beads, you'll get a sharper finish to the job and will save you the slightly trickier job of feathering of the edges.

having said this, if you don't want to plaster the reveals themsleves, just the wall around it, i can be useful to use a knife to cut back the beads a little so that the finish has somewhere to go, a lick of PVA on the cut back plaster too before skimming ;)

Sponsored Links
indeed stop bead can be used but then you have fill the back of the bead in afterwards and if it's an arch you're doing and you on;y want to do the wall side of it stop bead doesn't bend that way.

also if the edge you're fitting the stop bead to isn't exactly straight then it will look a bit of a mess and you end up having to find the best compromise between it overlapping and not quite sitting flush with the old edge.

If you’re skimming the wall, fit corner beading & skim the reveals as well. It’s a negligible amount of extra work & will ensure it looks good. Thin coat stop beads are good for many things but, as TM states, you will need to fill the radius back edge & such a thin line of filler is liable to crack away again in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back