reskimming reveals only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Got a few jambs and heads of windows that need reskimming, and need to know the best way of getting a decent edge as I don't want to reskim the front wall - in which case I would have used thin coat angle bead.

Is the best way to get over this with a thin coat stop bead or is there an alternative? :)

The walls and window reveals are plasterboard which has been skimmed, so hacking out and skimming back the existing bead is not an option.

Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Even using stop beads would not leave you with a tidy finish on front walls, as some work will be required to make it neat.
If it's just that your internal reveals have got a bit tatty or slightly damaged, you could consider feathering in with some easifil l(or something of the same ilk) and sanding till smooth/even.

Even using stop beads would not leave you with a tidy finish on front walls, as some work will be required to make it neat.
If it's just that your internal reveals have got a bit tatty or slightly damaged, you could consider feathering in with some easifil l(or something of the same ilk) and sanding till smooth/even.

+1

Thanks for the reply Prentice! I've taken some tall casement windows out and replaced with sash, and for the extra 65mm thickness I've had to chop back the reveals. Its left me with a 10mm gap, which Is the reason for suggesting skimming the reveals and avoid using a trim!

Wouldn't mind filling the gap, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't crack even if pva'ed?

My fault for not mentioning the gap, and any further idea's would be great :)

Sponsored Links
If the gap is at the new window frame then bonding coat would likely do the the job as a filler, if you leave it recessed, so you can then feather out.
Whether this would crack could depend on the condition of the existing plaster might be worth racking out about 40mm of plaster finish where it meets the 10mm gap and tape jointing prior to feathering out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back