Beam sizes for garage roof storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all !

I am planning to make my pitched roof space in my garage into a loft as it seems a wasted space which would be great for extra room in my man cave.

This is a pic of it:
e1fc4ed7.jpg

Measures - 5.13m x 5.08m (16ft 10in x 16ft 8in)

What i'd like to know is what size beams i would need to go from one side to the other without a supporting beam from the floor to allow some boards to be fitted for boxes, etc to be stored.

Am i also ok to sit the beams ontop of the brick work and fix them to roof beams to hold them in place ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The panel of brickwork that i can see between the garage doors, does that become a dividing wall that runs down the middle of the garage?

Or is there a clear span of 16 feet across the garage interior?

You will have to be certain as to what your intended use of the "loft" flooring is to be for. If you only store lightweight goods up there then it's possible that a 195 x 75 or a 220 x 50 @ 400 centres might work - with good end bearing.

But do get a joiner or builder on site to give you an opinion.

There's also the matter of, i presume, a double hipped roof that wont give all that much upper space. And pre-planned lighting arrangements.

Sponsored Links
Yes it will just be for boxes of diy stuff.

What do you mean by double hipped roof ?

Lighting is not an issue as i'm elec tech for all my sins !

You will have to be certain as to what your intended use of the "loft" flooring is to be for. If you only store lightweight goods up there then it's possible that a 195 x 75 or a 220 x 50 @ 400 centres might work - with good end bearing.

But do get a joiner or builder on site to give you an opinion.

There's also the matter of, i presume, a double hipped roof that wont give all that much upper space. And pre-planned lighting arrangements.

No way would I trust a joiner on sizing timber I would be reluctant with the word of a builder. Get a structural engineer out and get the quick calcs done on it. Make sure the answer is correct. I believe you are corect however with the issues regarding lighting but if its just for storage then Im sure something could be rigged up that complies with code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back