Beams across garage for storage - best method?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about putting some beams across my garage to use for storing long items. There would not be anything very heavy on them - bits of timber, pipe etc etc.

They would be put at around 2.2m above floor level and go wall to wall. I was planning on putting three up in total.

What is the best way to secure the beams to the walls?

I was thinking about using some 50mm width timber and then something like this screwed to the walls to support it.

47428.jpg

Would this work?

Also what is the best timber to use that will not be warped etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
For lightly-loaded storage, those would be fine.

Most timber from B&Q comes ready-warped - try a local timber yard instead. But accept that most timber is stored outside initially, and will distort a little when it dries out in the garage.

Hi @tony1851 and thanks for your reply.
I can certainly go to the local timber yard but what about a builders merchants such as Selco (bit closer to me)? Is that likely to be better quality than B&Q ?
Thanks again.

Get the right hangers for the timber - there are 38mm wide hangers for CLS or 47/50mm for sawn or regularised timber

4x2 or thereabout would be better than 3x2, and noggins between them with stiffen the whole thing up, and prevent any massive twisting.

Selco is sometimes great if you need timber to go around curves, but have a look you never know.

Sponsored Links
Hi woody, thanks for your post.

Could you post a link to the hangers at all? I was searching last night but must have been using the wrong search terms as only found what I posted the picture of above.

Thanks again.

Worked perfectly thanks.

Used some of these (see image below) with 4 x 40mm screws with red plugs. Still holding everything up as I type!

96431.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back